starting strength gym
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubbafat's log. I'm that fat weak guy at the gym.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat - 3x5x155
    Press - 3x5x90
    Dead - 1x5x205

All warm-ups as prescribed (with notes for press).

Warmed up with 5x100 intervals on the erg.

Squat - I was scheduled for 150 on the squat but all the 2.5's were missing so I went to 155 and it went great. I really focused on grip, breaking parallel, and the hip drive today - I feel really good about it. I practiced form over the weekend using a dowel and I think that, combined with stretching while ATG really helped.

Press - warmups were going really well so after my first work set at 80, I added 10 more and did my 3x5 at 90. The last 2 presses in set three were tough which is exactly where I think I should be - pushing myself but succeeding. I really focused on the two-phase movement (hips out and press) and aiming for my nose both on the press and the return. That visual of aiming for the nose really helped me keep the bar overhead.

Dead - Right on target at 205. The set went well. I could have done more but I can really feel that I worked. I was trying to focus on foot position and keeping the bar on the shins both up and down. Probably time to get some sweatpants before I grind up my skin.

Cooled down with 1k @ 23 on the erg.

Progress so far:

Squat: 135 -> 155
    Dead: 125 - 205
    Press: 75 -> 90

Rest day today - no lifting.

I did some light rowing for about a half hour and went grocery shopping to stock up on meat, cottage cheese, meat, beans and meat.

Continuing to work on my squat form with a dowel and a mirror. I feel like my gut gets in the way of going as deep as I possibly could but I am confident that I am breaking parallel.

How are you using a mirror to check depth? The problem with checking depth in a mirror is that when you're looking at yourself perform a movement, you perform it differently than normally. It's tricky but with practice you should be able to get a 'feel' for the bottom of the squat.

I find shoving my knees out hard the best cue to keep my gut from getting in the way of depth.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Evans View Post
    How are you using a mirror to check depth? The problem with checking depth in a mirror is that when you're looking at yourself perform a movement, you perform it differently than normally. It's tricky but with practice you should be able to get a 'feel' for the bottom of the squat.

I find shoving my knees out hard the best cue to keep my gut from getting in the way of depth.
    I setup a mirror in front and to my left and then squat down like normal. When I'm at the bottom (trying not to "settle in" or sit on my legs), I glance at my depth, and then eyes back where they belong and rise. I tried using mirrors to check my hip drive but I experienced what you are talking about - the act of looking changed my form enough that it was a meaningless test.

Shoving my knees out over my feet was part of what I was doing today. I swear, every time I re-read the Squat chapter I find something new I'm missing.

I appreciate the advice - thanks.

No problem. I'd recommend ditching the mirrors though, even if you're only glancing at them. If you're taking the time to check your depth at the bottom, you're losing the tightness you need to rebound off. Page 22 of SSBBT explains the gaze thing. Chin/eyes down = reinforces hip drive.

What you can do is set up a camera/mobile phone and film your sets, then watch in slow motion to see how your depth is. Concentrate on how the feeling of the rebound is on the bottom and doublecheck it with the footage to make sure you're getting it right.

Keep up the good work. I will be watching your progress with interest. I'm trying to get my youngest son to train. He's 33 and out weighs me by 50 pounds. He's a candidate for type 2 diabetes because of his family history (me) and is amazingly weak for weighing what he does.

Mirrors are the enemy. Really! I didn't believe that at the beginning either, but they are.

Warmed up on the erg - 5 minutes light effort.

Squat: 3x5x160
    Bench: 2x5x125, 1x4x120
    Dead: 1x5x235

Squat went well and felt good.

Deads were fine. Jumped another 30lbs. This might be my last big jump - I've set a +10 goal for Friday.

Bench was rough. I can think of a ton of reasons that benches might not have gone well - the things I can correct I will work on.

Tomorrow I'll take my rest day as a real rest day - no light rowing or anything. Just rest.

Progress (initial -> current)
    Squat: 135 -> 160
    Dead: 125 - 235
    Bench: 115 -> 120

There will be no lifts today. Felt ffy on Wednesday and downright cruddy yesterday. I drugged up before bed last night ... 14 hours later I woke up just as sick as when I went to bed - and still tired. If I'm feeling better tomorrow I will do it while my son is at Marine's PT in the morning.

On a more positive side - I found a local strength coach (actually a barbell facility with several coaches) who, though not SS certified, teach the SS lifts using Rippetoe's prescribed form. My first session with them is on Monday.

Back to sleep.

starting strength coach development program
    Not quite 100% but made it in to the gym today and things were pretty solid.

Squats: 165 (+10)
    Press: 90 (unchanged - but a solid set this time)
    DL: 255 (+20)

Squats felt really good. Valsalva really helped in the last few reps.
    Deads felt good. I ended up using an over/under grip for my last 2 reps and it helped. I don't want to depend on that yet - it seems too early for that.

Next session (Monday) will be with a coach and will be lighter to work on form and get acquainted. If the session is strictly unloaded-bar form practice then I'll do heavy working sets afterwards.

--
    Progress (initial -> current)
    Squat: 135 -> 165
    Dead: 125 - 255
    Bench: 115 -> 120

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast