starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 15 Year Old's Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by b-morebeast View Post
    as a hobby i run over guys in pick up football. I just don't enjoy any type of football practice unless it is hitting guys. I just really enjoy every aspect of baseball, playing or practice. It's fun to throw really hard and crush baseballs.
    mma?

Maybe Wrestling. Dad was a former D1 Wrestler

Training Session 1A March 9 11am:
    Bodyweight- 174lbs
    Squats
    2x5 45lbs
    1x5 115lbs
    1x1 135lbs
    3x5 165lbs
    Notes: Used bar with less space between sleeves. Hit safety bars on a few so it threw me off some. Overall the weight was easy and bar felt well positioned on my back. I just need to use my better bar for all of my lifts.

Press
    1x5 45lbs
    3x5 65lbs
    Notes: Should have started with less weight. Needs a lot of form change. I know weight was challenging because I attempted a 6th rep and failed it and thought I had only completed 4 reps.

Deadlifts
    1x5 185lbs
    1x3 225lbs
    1x5 265lbs
    Notes: Easy as always. Used overhand grip for all lifts. No chalk, straps or anything else.

Thanks for reading and videos will be up later today.
    Last edited by B-MoreBeast; 03-09-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Error in reps for Press

Video from today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4SIGC1NsaU
    Any advice will be considered and appreciated. From now on I'm going to use my bar with 54.5 inches between sleeves when squatting instead of the bar seen in the video which has 51 inches between the sleeves.

OHP you did not engage your hips on the drive. In fact you started out with hips in already which made it impossible to thrust them forward as the first step in your lift.

DL you were too far away from the camera for me to make any comment.

Your camera angle for squats is not good. We need to see from a rear 45º. Read the Sticky in the SSC(Starting Strength Coach) QnA about posting videos for form checks. Also, it'll be more helpful to post individual sets of individual lifts as individual videos. Then people who aren't patient like me, can see all your lifts without watching your whole workout.
    Squats look a little high, stance appears wide, your hand grip doesn't look symmetrical. This is all fixable and there will be people who are more than willing to help a young man like yourself. I know your anxious to get strong and grow big, but be patient and get your technique/form NAILED DOWN SOLID.

Quote Originally Posted by JTC_MN View Post
    Your camera angle for squats is not good. We need to see from a rear 45º. Read the Sticky in the SSC(Starting Strength Coach) QnA about posting videos for form checks. Also, it'll be more helpful to post individual sets of individual lifts as individual videos. Then people who aren't patient like me, can see all your lifts without watching your whole workout.
    Squats look a little high, stance appears wide, your hand grip doesn't look symmetrical. This is all fixable and there will be people who are more than willing to help a young man like yourself. I know your anxious to get strong and grow big, but be patient and get your technique/form NAILED DOWN SOLID.
    Yup to stance too wide and squats too high because of it.

Re-read the press chapter. This is not the way we teach the press.

You're pulling without squeezing your chest up. Learn to get squoze before you pull.

@carson Thank you for the tip on my Pressing. I knew I was not effectively using the lower half like outlined in Press 2.0. I have ordered the Starting Strength DVD and I'm thinking that would be very beneficial for me.

@JTC_MN I completely agree with you about camera angle. I just chose the easiest area for placement which was a bench directly in front of me. That angle was essentially useless for everything except the Press. When it comes to uneven grip I think what you may have been seeing was more of a alignment on back issue. Also the camera was not completely straight so it gives the illusion of me being more on one side. From now on I'll film my squats and deadlifts from a side angle that is perfectly in line with the bar to provide the best gauge of depth, back angle, bar path, etc.
    Thanks for everything so far and I'm looking forward to continuing my progress.

Default New Form Videos

Form videos of squats and deadlifts will be posted here and in the coaches section later today.

starting strength coach development program
    I will look them up. I remember a tiny bit about being 15 (I'm 68 now) but I know I could get easily discouraged. I hope you don't get discouraged about any comments made here. We all want to see you succeed without getting hurt in the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast