(Bar x 8 x 2, 60kg x 5, 70kg x 3, 80kg x 2) 87.5kg x 5 x 3

Press
    (Bar x 5, 25 x 5, 30 x 3, 32.5 x 2) 36.2 x 5 x 3

Deadlift
    (60 x 5, 70 x 3, 80 x 2) 85 x 5

Chin ups
    5, 5, 5

Notes

Implementing what I understand to be a more correct approach to warming up here. It's less taxing than the sets of 5 I was doing - which I hope will be helpful as the weight continues to increase.

Started to use my micro plates here on the press - they're 0.6kg so it's possible for me to jump 1.2kg increments now, whereas before the smallest increment I could jump was 2.5kg (1.25kg either side). I plan on using them for the press and bench with a view to keeping my LP going for a few months.

On the deadlift I have been noticing that an unintended consequence of squatting three times a week and only deadlifting once or twice was that my squat has been oustripping my deadlift rapidly. I feel like my deadlifting form is getting there so I hopped to 85kg here and will see whether I go to 90kg next time.

Need to get my chin ups moving. These are very strict but I don't want to keep doing 5, 5, 5.

B.

500m row

Squat
    (bar x 5 x 2, 60kg x 5, 70 x 3, 80 x 2) 90kg x 5 x 3

Bench
    (bar x 5 x 2, 40 x 5, 47.5 x 3, 52.5 x 2) 61.2kg x 5 x 3

Power clean
    (50kg x 5, 60kg x 2) 70kg x 5 x 3

Notes

Unremarkable enough I suppose. LP continues to march on. I will be a month in at the end of this week I think.

A

Squat
    Warm ups and then 92.5kg x 5 x 3

Press
    Warm ups and then 37.5kg x 5 x 3

Deadlift
    Warm ups and then 90kg x 5 x 1

Chin ups
    6, 5, 5

Notes

In a bit of a rush here - all went OK. Squatting feeling pretty good. Going to jump in bigger increments with the deadlift for a while to keep pace.

B

500m row

Squat
    warm ups - bar x 5 x 2, 60 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 3, 85kg x 2

95kg x 5 x 3

Bench
    warm ups - bar x 5 x 2, 40 x 5 x 2, 50 x 3, 52.5kg x 2

62.5kg x 5 x 3

Power cleans

(none)

Notes

OK, so why no power cleans?

Well, about 1-2 days after my last training session my neck got really stiff and I had little dashes of radiculopathy through my hand. This is not unfamilliar territory for me as a few years ago I was diagnosed with a bluge around C5/C6 and had some radiculopathy that took about a month to settle down. Since then I have never had a serious reoccurrance but I guess it has been there in the background and it comes and goes.

I've never been able to correlate it directly to one exercise or sometimes even one training session. To be honest I half think the main culprit has been the way I sleep at night, or just years of head forward posture that I have tried to iron out.

As a consequence, I've tried to just keep training. Of late, I have tried to make that training and not just exercise, and hence why I made the call to do this linear progress Starting Strength novice program.

Today I decided to train because the radiculopathy I had over the weekend has died down and I have normal ROM in my neck. I inserted extra warm-up sets and tried to be form conscious.

I have power cleaned in LP (using metal plates) up until this point but I decided that today, because I wasn't sure how things would go, that I would omit that exercise. It's ballistic, it's impactive, and I dropped it in the full knowledge that now my SS programming is not 'optimal'.

After the session I feel fine, so we will see what happens in the next day or so.
    Last edited by Bug War; 01-25-2016 at 01:50 PM.

A

Squat

Warm ups- bar x 5, 60 x 5, 70 x 3, 80 x 3 (yes, bit of fucking up going on), 90 x 2

97.5kg x 5 x 3

Press

Warm ups- bar x 5, 27.5 x 5, 30 x 3, 32.5 x 2

38.7kg x 5 x 3

Deadlift

Warm ups- 60 x 5, 75 x 3, 85 x 2

95kg x 5 x 1

Chin ups

5, 3

Notes

A slightly lingering of radiculopathy. Small enough that I'm asking myself if I'm imagining it. But overall fine and nothing today seems to have aggravated anything. Again, will monitor how things are progressing.

I'm reading the 3rd edition chapter on pressing and I'm not sure I'm getting the whole rebounding thing. Will read again and watch some form videos. I like the details on making the grip and the elbow position and I think these helped today.

Really careful on the chins today. Will see on Saturday about power cleans.

Been weighing myself the past few days first thing in the morning and I'm 86kg. So that's up 2kg in around 5 weeks. Possibly a little more - I think I was between 83 and 84 at the outset.

It's modest but I'm happy to be putting on the weight.

No weight gain and I'd be more sure I was fucking up.

B

500m row warm up

Squat

Warmups - Barx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx3, 80kgx3, 90kgx2

100kg x 5 x 3

Bench press

Warmups- Barx5, 40x5, 50kgx3, 52.5x2

63.7kg x 5 x 3

Power cleans

60kg x 3 x 3

Notes

Last session of the week.

On the squat I am struggling to break that classic mistake of the bent wrist in the rack position. Tried to adjust a few things today but didn't solve the problem.

2 minute rest periods for all the work sets except the last set of each - three minutes.

Quite happy with the benching, to be honest. I know it's shit by most people's standards but I feel like I have some momentum going thanks to the microloading and if I do stall I am going to try the reset method and work back up to try to keep moving.

Also considering some online coaching with an SS coach, need to do some more research.

Neck feels OK.

I reintroduced the power cleans today - at 60kg - but if I'm honest I feel like the velocity element is not my friend and I called it after three sets.

Welcome, nice progress! Why so little rest between sets?

I'm curious about your name, enders game? Starship troopers?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotch-Wegian View Post
    Welcome, nice progress! Why so little rest between sets?

I'm curious about your name, enders game? Starship troopers?
    Hey-

Yeah, the name is a kind of Heinlein / Starship Troopers reference I guess.

For the rest periods I found 2 minutes between sets enough earlier on. Now I'm giving myself 3 minutes here and there and I think going forward it'll be essential I guess.

I technically only get 45 min to 1 hour to train (gym in work, on my break) so there's some time pressure.

starting strength coach development program
    A

500m row warm up

Squat

Warmups and then 102.5kg x 5 x 3

Actually felt better than the 100s. I don't know whether that's because I am still working on the hand alignment thing or just because I have had two full days of rest.

Press

Warmups and then 40kg x 5 x 3

Having watched the Art of Manliness video of Rip coaching Brett McKay I think this helped a little with the 2.0 press style.

Deadlift

Warm ups and then 100kg x 5 x 1

Ditto above re the Art of Manliness video. Really nice to see the set up for Brett, who has a roughly similar body type to me (I think!).

Chins 5, 4, 4

Notes

Did this session in a local commercial gym. Not too much tomfoolery going on in there, actually, but it was peak time and there was a 'lord of the flies' feeling in the air when it came to getting a free squat rack. Of course there was a some guy inexplicably using a squat rack to practice his bent over single arm rows (there must be *some* tomfoolery in a commercial gym).

Back at it on Thursday.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast