starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Back to basics: The Bug War training log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Back at it after the lay off.

Dropped 10% on the basis that I have not been ill / bereaved etc. Picked the figure of 125 where I stalled to use.

A

500 m row warm up

Squat

Warm ups

Work sets 112.5kgx5x3

These were heavier than expected. The lay off I guess.

Press

Warm ups

Work sets at 40kgx5x3

Fine.

Deadlift

Warm ups

Work set 5x1 at 117.5kg

No comment really, other than I have a weird feeling in my left him. I think it's the flexor because it appears when I lift my left leg up. Not pain, just feels odd.

Back training with B "light" squat day on Thursday.

Away for work for a couple of days till then.

B (light squatting day)

Squat

(work sets at 70%)

Warm up sets and 80kg x 5 x 3

Bench

-10% reset

Warm up sets and then work sets 65kg x 5 x 3

Power cleans

-10% reset

60kg x 5 x 3

Notes

The reset was actually of use to me here because on the bench I want to bring in the point made in the SS bench chapter that the head should be "1/4 inch" or just about touching the bench. I have not been pushing my head back into the bench but I accept the argument made in the SS chapter and want to try this method. Dropping the weight slightly feels like a good time to introduce this as a detail. I found it a little weird but seems OK. It certainly reduces your inclination to go wandering with your eyes.

A

Last workout of the week.

500m row warm up

Squat

Warm up sets - Bar x 5, 60kg x 5, 85kg x 3, 105kg x 2

Work sets 115kg x 5 x 3

5 minutes rest between these sets - felt heavy frankly, so grinding reps in there.

Press

Warm up sets

Then work sets at 41.2kg x 5 x 3

Deadlift

Warm up sets and work set at 120kg x 5 x 1

Pull ups

5, 5, 5

Notes

Well, this was tougher than I had hoped. I am still getting over something that I had last week when my tattoo was healing. Mostly over it but I'm still coughing and sneezing. My wife and son got it worse and were K.O'd earlier in the week. There's something going around and everyone seems to have gotten it ...

I'm hoping that this is why the 115kg squats felt hard. I'm not exactly feeling the 'peak' effect that the enforced lay off last week might have given me. Oh well.

Struck down by the cold I thought I was getting over. Everyone in the house is sick.

Gone completely off the rails in training terms at this point.

I will try to restart next week. The question is whether I pick up at 117.5 or whether I go back to the start of the reset or a little behind.

starting strength coach development program
    Spoke to soon. I wasn't getting over this cold, I was just getting it. No training this week - next week will have to restart the reset I think, I've not done a proper progression of workouts since the beginning of March at this point, I'm not counting the last few.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456