starting strength gym
Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Martha’s Strength Journey

Default Starting Martha’s Strength Journey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Table of Contents

Post #2 (Page 1) Why I’m starting this blog; my training history; current stats

Why am I starting this log?

It was the middle of the night on December 27. I couldn’t sleep from a horrible case of the flu, and was just browsing the Starting Strength website; I had decided to make it a habit to watch one SS video every night. I don’t know what this sickness and Tylenol were doing to my neurotransmitters, but I was somehow overcome with an overwhelming desire to share with you all how utterly attractive I find strong men.

People always think being a woman is difficult in male dominated enterprises, but for a long time I wanted to proclaim that when it comes to strength training, at least at this point in history and in my experience, it is a GLORIOUS thing to be a woman in this male dominated enterprise. And I finally found a place where such a message would be most appreciated.

I posted the outpourings of my heart in a post entitled, "Strength Training Among Men: A Woman's Fantasy." I was thrilled to see my message well received, and the conversation quickly turned to the benefits of keeping a training log on here. And so, I have the lovely individuals who took the time to comment on my post to thank for welcoming me into the SS forum community.

My hope for my log is to post video updates every 3 months. Other than that, I’d like to use this forum to be my facebook replacement (I deleted facebook years ago and don’t engage in any social media). I’m wise enough now to know I should give myself a daily time limit on my social media use, so I’ll probably check this out for a half an hour every night.

My Training History
    - I did a little bit of track and swimming in high school. I was falsely enamored with the long distance events, thinking that was the highest measure of physical self-discipline. I always intuitively knew, though, that being strong was really what I needed to be fit, and I was never the type of girl that worried about getting “bulky,” I welcomed the idea of some muscle on my frame.
    - Freshman year of college I ran 3 miles every morning with one of my floormates. We also did an ab circuit together every night. One of my other floormates was the coxswain (person steering and directing orders) of the crew team, and she was also in charge of writing the workouts for the crew team in the winter. So I asked her to write me a workout (it ended up being a bodybuilding type workout) and I bought 5lb and 10lb dumbbells from Target to workout in my room. I wanted to at least have SOME strength before entering the daunting weight room.
    - I continued these at home workouts for about a year, until my brother introduced me to bodybuilding.com. I used Jamie Eason’s LiveFit program as a template for my workouts, and began programming for myself for the next 1.5 years, constantly researching to learn more.
    - I then broke my right hip in a freak accident at the gym and had a plate and bunch of screws put in, but that’ll require a post of its own. But yeah, I was incapacitated for 8 months and back to square one. It was during this time off, however, when literally the only productive thing I could do was sit and read, that I had probably discovered Rippetoe and Starting Strength.
    - I did a bit more programming for myself, horribly overtrained, then followed a workout I found on leangains.com which worked well, then finally read Starting Strength.
    - I read Michael Wolf’s article on strength and fitness, looked him up and found out he was near me and one of the senior SS coaches, and instantly signed up for sessions with him. He has been an amazing mentor to me.
    - Now here I am, a few months into truly beginning Starting Strength, though not consistently due to lack of gym access and weird work hours, but all of that will change this month!

Current Stats
    Height: 5’4”
    Weight: 145
    Body Fat: 23%
    Overhead Press 5RM: 75lb
    Bench Press 5RM: 115lb
    Squat 5RM: 185lb
    Deadlift 5RM: 235lb
    Clean 3RM: Don’t know, just learned it.

Upcoming goals:
    Finish my linear progression, finish reading Practical Programming and Mean Ol’ Mr. Gravity.
    Overhead Press 5RM: 95lb
    Bench Press 5RM: 135lb
    Squat 5RM: 225lb
    Deadlift 5RM: 285lb
    Clean 3RM: 205lb

Hopefully I will have videos with all of those numbers achieved in 3 months.

I love you all!
    Last edited by MarthaF; 12-29-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Welcome and good luck. Those are impressive lifts and admirable goals.

Default Starting Martha’s Strength Journey

Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on the wise choice to start a log. I hope you'll get a lot of info and fun out of this place. I know I do.

Did anything catch on at leangains.com btw? I've been an intermittent faster per Berkhan's protocol (some small tweaks re timing and macro division to fit daily life) for over six years. It's pretty sweet to eat a tremendous amount of food at least once a day and not get fat. (Y)

Also: good luck with your goals!

Hi Martha, glad you decided to keep a log. Nice to see another NJ native. Welcome to the jungle.

We are very close to each other. By dumb luck we may even see either at the same gym. I will send you a PM and let you know what gym I go to.

Lifting has been a huge part of my life for over 40 years. It really is part of who I am. I love this sport and hope nothing but good things for you.

I will be following with interest.

Your Friend in IRON

Lou

There is a group designed just for women on this forum. Check with Aleli to get information about it.

I know it's not appropriate in most circumstances to ask a lady's age but in this case it is helpful. What is your age?

Welcome!

Welcome Martha. The group carson refers to is on Facebook . Starting Strength ~ Barbelles.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    There is a group designed just for women on this forum. Check with Aleli to get information about it.

I know it's not appropriate in most circumstances to ask a lady's age but in this case it is helpful. What is your age?
    Actually it is on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/star...ngthbarbelles/

Lots of ladies here though, welcome!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Welcome and good luck. Those are impressive lifts and admirable goals.
    Aw thanks Eric! Same to you, can't wait to see your progress :-)

Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast