Thread: 34 y/o Skinny Fat Novice Training Log

Default 34 y/o Skinny Fat Novice Training Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello SS community! Below are my current stats and story:

Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 196
    Body fat: 22.4%
    (I'm a tall ectomorphy with narrow frame, skinny limbs, and an ugly protruding belly (34-36" waistline) ..There was a time when I was actually slim (32") and weighed in around 160...)

Squat: 185x3x5
    BP: 145x3x5
    Press: 110x3x5
    DL: 240x1x5
    Due to constraints of the gym where I train, I cannot do PCs. I know this means I'm not technically doing the program but I'm doing my best with what I can work with.

Supplemental exercises: Chin-ups (assisted by band), Yates barbell rows, dips, barbell curls.

This is my second time "starting" SS. The first time was in 2013. I bought the book and DVD, read and studied hard, and trained alone. Around the time I began to squat about 150, I started to have a valgus knee that resulted in lower back pain and eventually a minor tear in the meniscus on the outside of my right knee. A chiropractor helped some with the back pain, and I was mostly consistent with it for about 6 months before falling off of the whole thing and not doing one bit of exercise until this past fall, 2015. When I started up again, for no good reason I began with Medhi's 5x5 program. When the weight began to get (relatively) heavy, the valgus knee and back pain came back. But this time, I was a bit smarter and studied up on mobility watching videos on YouTube and reading Kelly Starrett's Becoming a Supple Leopard. I have since learned how to resolve the back pain on my own and am still working on correcting the valgus knee problem. I realized a few weeks ago that rather than following an internet marketer's program, I needed to go back to follow the guidelines and program of real professional (Rip!). Thus, I am back to the SS program (save for not doing PCs -- and yes... I do feel guilty about this..)

My progress has been slow these past few months because I have been slowly but steadily upping my commitment to making serious gains. I never missed workouts, but my sleep and nutrition were not always in line, and I am purposely very slow to move up on the squat because I want to be meticulous about my form especially so as not to injure my meniscus further. But now I am very serious about my commitment. I have cut out alcohol completely, ensure proper sleep, and I'm tracking my macros.

I need to lower my body fat %, but the good news is that I at 34 y/o, having never been athletic, I am the strongest I have ever been! So I started this log here to help with my motivation so I can keep on going! I am open to all feedback, advice, and questions. Glad to join the community.

-Brandon

Do you consult with one of the three Chicago area coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Do you consult with one of the three Chicago area coaches?
    No I do not, but I suppose I probably ought to... Can you direct me to them, or have one in particular you might recommend? Finances are tight, but in a month or so, I may be able to afford 1 or 2 consultation sessions.

Oh, and I figure I ought to upload some "before" photos. I took these on 2/21/16..

[IMG][/IMG]

Default 2/22 training session log

Squat - 180x3x5
    Knees stayed out. Depth was ok. Some forward tilt on the way up.

Press - 115x4x1 / 115x4x1 / 115x3x1
    Been sitting at this weight for about 3-4 training sessions now...

DL - 225x5x1
    I lowered the weight on squat and deadlift to make sure form was correct. Looking at videos I took from my 245 DL, my spine was a bit rounded.

Assisted chins (band around knee) - 7x2 / 5x1
    Negative chins - 3x1
    Biceps curls - 57.5x8x1 / 57.5x7x1 / 57.5x5x1

Here's the link. SSCA : Coaching

Of the three I know Karl Schudt the best. We are good friends. I also know Dave and David. Karl has a beard which may interest you. All three are very good coaches. Karl lives in Tinley Park. Dave in Palos and David's gym is in near North Chicago. Contact whichever one is closest or check out Karl's many posts on the competition area.

thank you carson!

Default 2/24 Training Log

Squat - 185x5x3
    BP - 150x4x1 / 150x3x1 / 150x3x1
    Barbell Row - 130x5x3
    Dips - body weight - 4x1 / 5x1 / 6x1

Hey Brandon - Welcome to the program. I'm also from Chicago. While there aren't a ton of us who really try to do the program, we do exist in Chicago! Where abouts do you live? I can possibly help with gym recommendations as well. About 6 months into doing the program for real, I switched away from my commercial gym to a much better gym. Albeit it is mostly Olympic lifters, most people there take their lifting very seriously. There are a handful of SS followers. And they have 6 squat racks and a ton of bumper plates. Feel free to PM me as well, I'd be happy to share more.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey man keep it up. We're about the same age. I pretty much stopped with the boozing and partying as well. I figure I have a few more solid years of training before I have to start dealing with the issues of getting old. I'd say do whatever it takes to keep consistent and continue to train. Even if that means straying from the program... but give those coaches a fair chance first. You might have been messing something up with improper form.

Do you care to give details on why you can't power clean? I've cleaned in gyms where it is typically frowned upon, but using proper form and not throwing the weights down, I've always been allowed.

Best of luck in your endeavor, but hard work will pay more dividends than luck! Keep at it.