starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a beefcake

Default Becoming a beefcake

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Been doing SS LP for a few months, two setbacks have slowed my progress. Posting here for comradeship and any advice you want to hurl in my direction.

24 years old, 5'8.75'' (ha), started at 144 lb, currently at 154 lb.

Since January 17:
    Squat: 120-195 (reset at 170 for form issues that led to hip flexor pain)
    Bench: 80-120 (still can't shake rotator cuff pain; I have very long forearms)
    Press: 45-82.5 (had to reset at 85)
    Deadlift: 115-220
    Power Clean: Started 2 sessions ago at 75, will start LP next workout.

Had a major setback halfway through, the death flu for about 2 weeks, and I was greatly weakened after missing 5 workouts. Currently trying to get my weight up to 160. Modest goals right now are to bench 1xbodyweight, squat 1.5x, and deadlift 2x.

Welcome, don't let the setbacks stop you. We all have them. I'm dealing with hip flexor issues myself, fix the knee slide and it will resolve. I'm able to train through it. For shoulders, take modest increments and when you get a chance, get the area massaged and it will give you relief. Most importantly, eat. A lot, but be mindful to get good quality macros in.

Godspeed, bud. I started Jan 4, so I'm not too far off from you. Cept' I'm fatter than you.

Keep it simple and run this bitch out!

You might want to submit a video of your bench for a form check. Could be a form problem causing the pain.

Keep plugging away!

Welcome to the forum, calfcake*!

I'm certain you can reach your goals fairly quickly if you stay consistent. Enjoy linear progression while you can, get your form right (get a coach/read the book/post form check videos) and eat, baby, eat!

*for now. I'll start calling you beefcake once you have put on some pounds.

Thanks everyone! Currently trying to guzzle as much milk as I can but slightly after ¼ gallon per day my body starts violently rejecting it. So, I've been trying to make McDonald's my new home for supplementary calories.

I'll keep updating my posts, just found a buddy who's starting SS so hopefully we can motivate each other.

Welcome. Please don't get your squat past mine (250) until you're 200+ lbs. Thanks.

Question: I know this has been tossed around a lot and I don't want to relaunch an entire debate, having read lots of prior responses, but I'm wondering, is it appropriate for me to start using a belt while squatting soon? I figure since I'm squatting a relatively heavy amount compared to my bodyweight, and because my lower back is starting to protest.

Question: I know this has been tossed around a lot and I don't want to relaunch an entire debate, having read lots of prior responses, but I'm wondering, is it appropriate for me to start using a belt while squatting soon? I figure since I'm squatting a relatively heavy amount compared to my bodyweight, and because my lower back is starting to protest.
    Do it.

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay and get all big and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Welcome to the forum, calfcake*!

*for now. I'll start calling you beefcake once you have put on some pounds.
    I would have went with vealcake, but calfcake is an apt name nonetheless. Good one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast