starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Male 43 yrs old - 5'10.5" - 170 lbs

Default Novice Male 43 yrs old - 5'10.5" - 170 lbs

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Decided to start strength training to see if i could get anywhere near I was in college :-)

Started the SS program on 3/14 and decided to take it slow (added 10/5 pounds per session on all basic lifts... However, after a couple weeks just upping 5 pounds each session)

Starting Worksets
    3/14 (Day 1 - BW 172lbs)
    Squats 105x5x3
    Press 65x5x3
    Deadlift 95x5x1
    Bench Press 95x5x3 (first time 3/16)
    Power Cleans 95x3x5 (first time 3/25, day 11)

WS after 1 Month (BW 170lbs)
    4/15 (Day 33)
    Press 95x5x3
    DL 195x5x3
    4/18 (Day 36)
    SQT 175x5x3
    BP 155x5x3
    PC 115x3x5

I missed a couple times with work travel but replaced with BW exercises. I've been eating strictly, still trying to replace a little fat with muscle. I want my ideal weight between 165-170 and 10% body fat.

Goals for 9/15/2016 (6 months)
    (1RM)
    Squat (250)
    Press (135)
    B. Press (185)
    Deadlift (295)
    Power Clean (180)

Welcome. You seem a bit slender. Eat more and keep up the lifts. Good work. Do you have access to a SS Coach?

Welcome to the forum!

I missed a couple times with work travel but replaced with BW exercises. I've been eating strictly, still trying to replace a little fat with muscle. I want my ideal weight between 165-170 and 10% body fat.
    Eat first, lift hard, gain weight, you can always cut weight later.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. You seem a bit slender. Eat more and keep up the lifts. Good work. Do you have access to a SS Coach?
    Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I've always been skinny. I play/coach soccer for fun and as I'm getting older I read that strength training can help with bone density and T levels, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm eating extra protein, BCAAs after I train.

No, I don't have access to a SS coach - I just read the book (found it on Amazon as a best seller) and started from there... 20 years ago in college I got some weight training in but avoided squats (I was doing them wrong) because I always felt sketchy doing them. With the SS program, they are my favorite lift.

Do you recommend any online coaches? (I live in Utah and I'm not sure there are SS coaches here...)

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Eat first, lift hard, gain weight, you can always cut weight later.
    I'll up the food intake! 😀

+1 on what they said. ^^

Coaches Directory here, but doesn't look like anything in Utah.

There is a Q and A here run by coaches. There is also a technique section which can help. But even though a weekly session with a coach is out of the question I suggest that you consult with one face to face 3-4 times a year at minimum. They could be nice trips combined with some sight seeing.

Welcome to the forum, it's been a great motivator for me to log my workouts. When I fall out of the habit, there's always this nagging voice in my head about needing to get back in the gym and resume posting my progress (or lack thereof) . Keep up the great work.

Lots of video checks at minimum if unable to work with a coach. Like its been mentioned, eat now and get strong during your LP, there's plenty of intermediate programs to run in the future while trying to cut body fat if desired. You can learn that the hard way, or learn from our mistakes . Good progress so far, I'm all about that slow and steady progress. So long as you eat appropriately to gain some weight and sustain your gains, you should have no problem blowing right through your goal weights.

Oh yeah, and welcome.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks guys - I appreciate the advice and motivation. I'm adding calories!

I like the idea of heading to a class/coach 3-4 times per year - nice excuse for a road trip.

4/20
    BW - 170lbs
    Worksets
    Squat - 180x5x3
    Press - 100x5x3
    Deadlift - 200x5
    Notes: poor sleep (4.5 hrs), heading out of country for 1 week. Got in workout early before leaving. Hopefully I can find a gym or I'll have to make due with BW stuff.
    Last edited by aosthed; 04-20-2016 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Clarify

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast