starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength for Highland Games

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Training Day #5

The weights are feeling heavy. I may get one more 10# jump in the squat and maybe 15# more in my deadlift then its time to lower the progressive weight. Presses are still trucking along with 5 # increments.

SQ-3×5@ 215
    OP-3×5@95
    DL-1×5@195

I'm experiencing some knee pain on the ACL side of my knee. I did catch myself pushing off of my toes instead of heels on a couple of squats. That may have contributed. I noticed I am slowly gaining weight. I dont think thats supposed to happen for me. Im a fat guy (6'2" 297lbs), fat guys are supposed to remain close to the same weight not gain weight.
    I decided to incorporate some sled pushes to the end of my training session to help with that. I will say this, sled pushes are no joke. My lungs were on fire and my quads were too. I didnt push too hard tonight but I will build from this starting point. I pushed maybe 200 yds. Ill keep upping the ante twice a week. I dont want to be a fat slug.
    I also noticed, it seems near impossible to keep my carbs in check. I have been in the 350 range for the past 2 days, tracking with MyFitnessPal app. I cant seem to keep it under 150. Need to get a grip on my food.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinConnor View Post
    Training Day #5

I also noticed, it seems near impossible to keep my carbs in check. I have been in the 350 range for the past 2 days, tracking with MyFitnessPal app. I cant seem to keep it under 150. Need to get a grip on my food.
    Hello, maybe one reason you find it hard to stick to your diet is that you want to make a severe cut in your carbs(more than half!!)
    If you eat now 300 g then try to make 270 for 1 week (that's a 120 calorie deficient alone) and then next week reduce by 10 g. It may seem so slow but it's better to make a deficient that you can sustain than one you cant.

Sled pulls are also great. You can also add more general physical activity like lots of walking...

keep up the good work!

great work and don't fret about going along at a slow pace; it's a marathon not a sprint!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm happy with my progress so far. I wish I could go back to freshman year in high school with this program. It would have made such a big difference. I had college offers from Div 3 football schools. We had a weak strength program. I know it's useless to dwell in the past, but I cant help to think what my potential could have been had I been on an appropriate strength training regimen. Anyway enough of that......

Training Day #6

SQ-3×5@225 (I feel like I'm to the point of 5 # increments, the weight is getting to be challenging)

BP-3×5@125 (Still making progress steadily, may have a few more 5 # jumps before micro loading starts)

DL-1×5@210 (I'm still feeling 15 # jumps are appropriate, 210 still isn't super tough. I might get another week or two of 15# jumps)

Still making good gains. I can't wait to see where I am this time next year.

TD#7

SQ-3×5@230 (these felt good today)
    OP-3×5@100 (these are getting heavy quickly)
    DL-3×5@225 (I'm running these one more week before incorporating PCs. I should be able to get a heavier DL this week that will pass my SQ.)

TD #8

Unfortunately I had to miss a training day. The gym I go to was closed without any kind of notice on Wednesday night. Im thinking about switching gyms because the owner lets irresponsible teenagers run it at night. I think they closed it early. I was livid. Its hard to find a good gym around here.

Anyway....after my progress was stunted heres tonights workout.

SQ-3×5@235
    OP-3×5@105
    DL-3×5@240

It may be time to incorporate power cleans now. My deadlift has bypassed my squat. So next B workout I will incorporate powercleans.

TD #9

Today was a little bit of a challenge. Squats went well, but I had some shoulder pain doing bench. I also added cleans today. My back is a little sore this evening. I hope, over time, this back issue becomes less. Degeneterave discs are no fun, but I have seen several testimonies from other claiming their pain is almost non-existant. I'm hoping for the same. I also competed in highland games this weekend. I finished 2nd place in the novice class. Time to bump up a class to Amateur B.

Sq- 3×5@240
    Bp- 3×5@130
    Pc- 5×3@135

I've been slacking on my TL, here's an update:

TD #10
    SQ-3×5@245
    OP-3×5@110
    DL-1×5@250

TD#11
    SQ-3×5@250
    BP-3×5@135
    DL-1×5@255 (decided to leave the powerclean alone for now. I don't feel like it's time to incorporate it yet. I need more distance between my deadlift and squat. I may try a few more 10 lb jumps. I felt like I had more in the tank today.)
    Last edited by JustinConnor; 05-28-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Mistake

starting strength coach development program
    I'm a (currently broken) Intermediot who would like to learn Highland Games stuff too. I'm subscribed and will follow along!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12