starting strength gym
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Elderly Dude on Novice Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    that's your Inner Hulk emerging

and don't worry: at our age all too soon that next 5lbs feels like 50 lol

I really wasn't feeling it tonight. If the pre-workout mix hadn't of jumpstarted me, I may have mailed it in. Except for the week I traveled and didn't lift, I've lifted every two days. It might be time to incorporate that "three day weekend" somewhere in my schedule.

I spent time doing some goblet squats, a few bulgarian split squats to loosen my hips before getting under the bar. Also used the squat warmups to work on the Paul Horner stretches for hands on the bar.... it's better but not close in yet.

Session #17 Dec 24th

Squat 3x5 @215;

Press 3x5 @95

Deadlifts 5x1 @270

BW 228lbs; 6'2"; age 51

Deadlifts felt very heavy tonight. I night to monitor my food and sleep recovery closer.

Merry Christmas!

Ate like a madman the past couple of days with copious amounts of protein (including 1/3 gallon of milk per day) and lots of sleep. First day I actually felt good prior to the workout.

Session #18 Dec 26th
    Squat 3x5 @220;
    Bench 3x5 @145
    Cleans 3x5 @110
    BW 232lbs; 6'2"; age 51

I went a bit too aggressively with the Paul Horn stretch for the squat hand position. Now my left shoulder is aching and ached through the remainder of the workout.

Wife and I are on Staycation this week, but life got in the way of my normal "every other day" workouts. Got an unplanned 3rd day of rest.

Session #19 Dec 29th

Squat 3x5 @225; Stiff, but not too hard.

Press 3x5 @100; something is still pinched in my left shoulder after trying to stretch hand position on the squats the past couple of workouts. It made the Press more challenging than it should have been.

Deadlifts 1x5 @280; 1x1 @300; Feeling frogging after extra day of rest.

BW 234 lbs; 6'2"; age 51

I have been eating like a pig and gaining weight. I felt fully recovered yesterday but couldn't make it down to the basement. Felt pretty good today and slapped an extra 20lbs on the deadlift bar to gauge where I am. After the deadlifts were feeling so heavy @270 five days ago, I was pleased with how it felt tonight at with my worksets at 280 and the extra rep I threw in at 300.
    Last edited by wb416; 12-30-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Deadlift set/rep scheme backwards

i love the deads, but they are a fickle mistress. there are days when something close to my 1 rep max will fly up, and days when something much lower feels glued to the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    i love the deads, but they are a fickle mistress. there are days when something close to my 1 rep max will fly up, and days when something much lower feels glued to the floor
    I have had the exact same experience with them.

Fine progress thus far! Nice work.

Perhaps it's best chalked up to changing energy levels and hitting a sweet spot on recovery/calorie-intake. I'm not tracking calories, so feeling that good again on the deads might be elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledDino View Post
    Fine progress thus far! Nice work.
    Thank you!

starting strength coach development program
    Session #20 Jan 1st
    Squat 3x5 @230;
    Bench 3x5 @150
    Cleans 3x2 @115; 1@125; 1@130
    BW 235lbs; 6'2"; age 51

Feeling a dull ache shooting down my left arm every time I try to do the Paul Horn bar stretch and it effects my work sets of the squat, my bench, even the power cleans. Everything felt hard tonight. Ignorance was bliss when I was doing squats with bent wrists and had mojo. LOL

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast