starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Age ICU RN getting stronger

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Great to see your getting your training in. I keep messing up my training by always switching things up and thinking I need to do more in order to get stronger. Invariably I've lost strength.
    I did that for years, always thinking I was missing something, jumping from one thing to another.

Thursday Jan. 18, 2024

Squat
    170x5x3

Press
    93x5x3

Deadlift
    195x5

How's your weight and diet doing, if you don't mind my asking?

I've found that squats are way easier if your deadlift is well out in front. Are you wearing a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    How's your weight and diet doing, if you don't mind my asking?

I've found that squats are way easier if your deadlift is well out in front. Are you wearing a belt?
    My weight is up to 180 lbs. My diet is doing better. I'm focusing on more protein. Yesterday I had a little over 200 grams of protein. I don't eat much junk. If I do it's cookies and ice cream at night.

I need to work in my squat depth. I am about 3-4 inches high, so I will drop back on weight on my squat which will put my deadlift more out in front. I am wearing a belt for the first time in many years. I'm still trying to find the right position for the belt on deadlifts.

Saturday 1/20/2024

Squat
    175x5x3

Bench Press
    120x5x3

Deadlift
    200x5

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Pinac View Post
    If I do it's cookies and ice cream at night.
    Delicious. Good luck! Stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Pinac View Post
    My weight is up to 180 lbs. My diet is doing better. I'm focusing on more protein. Yesterday I had a little over 200 grams of protein. I don't eat much junk. If I do it's cookies and ice cream at night.

I need to work in my squat depth. I am about 3-4 inches high, so I will drop back on weight on my squat which will put my deadlift more out in front. I am wearing a belt for the first time in many years. I'm still trying to find the right position for the belt on deadlifts.
    Belt position is hard to nail down. For me, there's only one place on my torso that my belt doesn't dig into my ribs or thighs during squats so that's my spot, just below my ribcage. Since my scary but minor back tweak early in December, I've gained a new appreciation for the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    Belt position is hard to nail down. For me, there's only one place on my torso that my belt doesn't dig into my ribs or thighs during squats so that's my spot, just below my ribcage. Since my scary but minor back tweak early in December, I've gained a new appreciation for the belt.
    I have never had something "pop." I have had both sides of my erector muscles, lower on my back, spasm or pull at the same time. Not sure which. This was in later part of this past October. I was warming up with 95lbs and my back said, NO! My father had been in the hospital for almost a month at that point. My back let me know that sleeping a few nights a week in the hospital and working as an ICU nurse was not good. I did what you did and slowly came back. Hot baths, NSAIDs and movement.

Friday 1/26/2024

Squat
    155x5x3
    reduced weight to get depth

Press
    95x5x3

Deadlift
    205x5

starting strength coach development program
    back pain is the main reason i started ss, keep it up, nice and slow, you're making great progress

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast