starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting Off the Reaper - Growing Old, Not Gracefully...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks. Yes, we have our own basement gym. I’d have to look as well. I know two days per week and three per week are both addressed, of course. I would think that a consistent amount of rest would be preferable when trying to minimize training variables.

On the back thing, it’s sore again today and it comes and goes. I’ve been reading extensively on the site about back issues and have learned a lot. It’s becoming clear to me that my back will likely be my limiting component and I’ll need to balance the desire for increasing strength with my caution about back injury.

I’m not doing all of this to compete in the Olympics, just to get reasonably strong and stay that way as long as possible.

Your progress has been great, and yep there will be hiccups along the way. Since y'all are, like me, not doing this with any sort of studly competition in mind and we're basically the same age (I think I have 4 years on you) I will just throw out that you might consider not adding weight every session but save it for your Sunday session, as that will maximise your recovery since you don't lift again until Wednesday. I see that you are deading basically every time and I agree (and carson will support me on this); Sweet Baby Jeebus himself smiles when you dead every workout.

For example, let's say you dead 275 on Sunday. Instead of doing 280 on Wednesday do 265, 270 on Friday, and then 280 on Sunday. This will give you 5# weekly gains for a long time, it seems to me, and give you added recovery which is needed at our age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    Your progress has been great, and yep there will be hiccups along the way. Since y'all are, like me, not doing this with any sort of studly competition in mind and we're basically the same age (I think I have 4 years on you) I will just throw out that you might consider not adding weight every session but save it for your Sunday session, as that will maximise your recovery since you don't lift again until Wednesday. I see that you are deading basically every time and I agree (and carson will support me on this); Sweet Baby Jeebus himself smiles when you dead every workout.

For example, let's say you dead 275 on Sunday. Instead of doing 280 on Wednesday do 265, 270 on Friday, and then 280 on Sunday. This will give you 5# weekly gains for a long time, it seems to me, and give you added recovery which is needed at our age.
    Thanks, Mr. B. I'll have to start doing that. I got 270 up three times today and that was the end of that. I'm going to back down to 260 on Sunday, then start an iterative LMH or similar and do the same with the squat. I just can't do five pounds every time any more. Mrs. W feels the same only more so. I bought the programming book this week so I can make our transition into something more manageable without losing our NLP gains to date.

I appreciate the input and I really enjoy reading your log.

Session 20 Wt. 200

Squat 185x1, 155x3, 125x2x5
    Press 92 3x5
    Dead 270x3

195 wasn't happening on the squat. 185 went okay with little pain and the rest was pretty easy.
    Press was good. Trying hard not to bend my knees at the outset so they went up slowly but I got them all.
    Dead stop on the deadlift. Got two reps but struggled. The third one went up but aggravated my back thing so I took a break for a while and tried again for the last two. No go. Back spasm and a fair bit of pain all over my lower and mid back. Took a cold shower and 600 mg of ibuprofen and it feels a lot better.

I'm going to step back to 260 for Sunday and then go up five pounds per week per Mr. Bingley's recommendation. I'll probably do the same with the squat starting back at 180 or 185. I think my NLP is over on the heavy lifts but I'm really pleased to be where I am. I'm too old to ignore what my body is telling me to soothe my ego. Time to dig into the programming book!

Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    I'm going to step back to 260 for Sunday and then go up five pounds per week per Mr. Bingley's recommendation. I'll probably do the same with the squat starting back at 180 or 185. I think my NLP is over on the heavy lifts but I'm really pleased to be where I am. I'm too old to ignore what my body is telling me to soothe my ego. Time to dig into the programming book!
    Crusty old guy, not quite as crusty as Mr B and just a tad younger than you. But I have a few years of this type of programming under my belt.

One thing to keep in mind as you read the programming book (whether it's Practical Programming or Barbell Prescription) is that the programs in there descriptive, not prescriptive (regardless of the use of that word in the title of that one book). In other words, try to spend more time absorbing the concepts than focusing on the details.

Of course, if you have questions, ask. We're here to help.

ETA: The most important thing for you right now (and really at any time) is to stay consistent. We lose progress a lot faster than the young pups, so moving forward is always better.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Crusty old guy, not quite as crusty as Mr B and just a tad younger than you. But I have a few years of this type of programming under my belt.

One thing to keep in mind as you read the programming book (whether it's Practical Programming or Barbell Prescription) is that the programs in there descriptive, not prescriptive (regardless of the use of that word in the title of that one book). In other words, try to spend more time absorbing the concepts than focusing on the details.

Of course, if you have questions, ask. We're here to help.

ETA: The most important thing for you right now (and really at any time) is to stay consistent. We lose progress a lot faster than the young pups, so moving forward is always better.

Keep at it!
    Thanks, Bill. I recognize the descriptive nature of the program documents. The foundational concepts are clear enough and the guidance is robust enough for me to be fairly confident at this point. I'll make some time in the new year and get some time with a SS coach to make sure we're on the right track.

I appreciate the input and I intend to move forward, even if it's at a slower pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Crusty old guy, not quite as crusty as Mr B...
    I resemble that remark!

Sunday came and went without a workout. Back is really hurting, especially when I try to turn over at night. I'm going to do some light work today but it'll be a while before my continuous parade of old man PRs resumes.

12-11-23

Squat warmup then 180x1, 145x3, 115x2x5 (Sully's tweak protocol)
    Bench 120x5, 100x2x5
    No dead

Squats felt ok up to 180, bench really hurt my back so I dropped 20 for the last two sets. Could barely get up off the bench and cracked myself in the sternum with one of the last reps. Deadlift was out of the question.

12-13-23 - Deadlifted today 205x1, 165x3, 135x5 after a complete warmup. Cinched down the belt, took care with my form and felt pretty good with 205 given the back issues I was having just a couple of days ago. It's healing up but I need to be careful. I'm going to squat and press light tomorrow. I think I'll go to a one on, two off schedule for a while at least. I need some additional recovery time and Mrs. W doubly so.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    Thanks, Mr. B. I'll have to start doing that. I got 270 up three times today and that was the end of that. I'm going to back down to 260 on Sunday, then start an iterative LMH or similar and do the same with the squat. I just can't do five pounds every time any more. Mrs. W feels the same only more so. I bought the programming book this week so I can make our transition into something more manageable without losing our NLP gains to date.

I appreciate the input and I really enjoy reading your log.
    I want to revisit this little episode and reflect on what I said and what I've learned over the past week or so. While watching the inestimable Grant Broggi (of Strength Co. fame) talk about intermediate programming, something dawned on me. My NLP probably isn't over because I'm not strong yet. Just because I tweaked my back and need to heal doesn't mean I can't overload myself in a single session, recover and get stronger.

Looking at the cover of the programming book, I'm not anywhere near the flattening part of the line so I'm still on the linear increase (not strong yet) line.

I may detour or fall backward on the line but I'm not done climbing and adding weight every session or nearly so. Just because I hurt myself a little doesn't mean I need more complex programming to keep getting stronger, therefore, I'm not an "intermediate". I might need to slow down how much I'm adding and I might need to rest an extra day and I might need to do some lat pulldowns or back extensions instead of lifting heavy squats and deadlifts six times a week as an older guy but none of that makes me an intermediate.

I'm trying hard to find the bottom of the Dunning-Kruger curve.
    Last edited by w35773; 12-14-2023 at 01:39 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast