starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Rower's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If you grip is failing, alternate grip is fine. I tend to think hook grip is more useful, since it changes the lift less, and the process of getting used to the hook grip will have to happen at some point. Use straps only when all else fails.

If the belt is jamming into your ribs/pelvis, get a thinner belt. If it's just feeling uncomfortable, good.

17/02/24 Session 11

SQ 117.5x3x5
    PRESS 52.5x3x5
    PC 65x5x3

Squats feels good, but looking at (badly lit, I look forward to lifting with an open garage door!) back extension still looks "off".
    Press so much more solid with a squat stance.
    Dialled cleans back to build up from.

17 February 2024 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    If you grip is failing, alternate grip is fine. I tend to think hook grip is more useful, since it changes the lift less, and the process of getting used to the hook grip will have to happen at some point. Use straps only when all else fails.

If the belt is jamming into your ribs/pelvis, get a thinner belt. If it's just feeling uncomfortable, good.
    Noted, thanks. I'll persevere with the belt and practice a hook grip next session.

19/02/24 Session 12 bw 94.6kg

SQ 120x3x5
    BP 85x3x4
    DL 147.5x5

Squats getting heavy, will be programming light day next week. Slight pain in my right elbow, was definitely using energy "protecting" this when benching.

22/02/24 Session 13 bw 94.5kg

SQ
    122.5x5 5 3, 2
    P
    55x3x4
    DL
    150x5

Just not myself today, two days on the rower but no excuses, that squat just felt flipping heavy. After 3rd rep rather than compose myself and grind out another 2, I just simply didn't want to and re racked the bar. Short break and little word with myself and I squat my best 2 reps today. Rest periods 5-6mins, sessions are long enough with taking longer.
    Press just didn't have five reps in me.
    Deadlift moved really well first 3 reps, definite hip drop on the last 2, but still, I picked up a heavy bar off the floor five times.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
    22/02/24 Session 13 bw 94.5kg

SQ
    122.5x5 5 3, 2
    P
    55x3x4
    DL
    150x5

Just not myself today, two days on the rower but no excuses, that squat just felt flipping heavy. After 3rd rep rather than compose myself and grind out another 2, I just simply didn't want to and re racked the bar. Short break and little word with myself and I squat my best 2 reps today. Rest periods 5-6mins, sessions are long enough with taking longer.
    Press just didn't have five reps in me.
    Deadlift moved really well first 3 reps, definite hip drop on the last 2, but still, I picked up a heavy bar off the floor five times.
    Off days happen. Life happens. Put it behind you and attack it the next training day. Eat more. Get good sleep.

24/02/24 Session 14 part A

BP
    85x5 5 1 (elbow pain)

DL
    135x2x5

DB BP
    35's(kg)X6

Used my work gym, not a bad set up in fairness I can get stuff done. Right elbow did not like that last bench set, it was there a tad on first two sets but I could work with it. The narrower the grip, the sharper the pain. I noticed it deadlifting the other day, when lowering the bar that sudden impact went up my arm. Didn't feel it as much on 135's today. Dumbbell bench didn't affect me much. Will squat tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Pinac View Post
    Off days happen. Life happens. Put it behind you and attack it the next training day. Eat more. Get good sleep.
    Absolutely, been around the block long enough to know you've got to move on. Much better today...

25/02/24 Session 14 part B bw 94.8kg

SQ 122.5x3x5

Squat much better today, but darn this elbow...

starting strength coach development program
    Couple of sessions end Feb / early March but nothing worth noting as I had the opportunity to have my hernia op brought forward two months to last week. Rather than delay the inevitable, I got it done with. Feeling okay atm all things considered, but been advised six weeks off lifting and rowing.

Was an epigastric hernia done under local anaesthetic, surgeon said I have a solid rectus abdominis so I've been doing something right! Ha, with no direct ab work, how dare I...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123