starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Rower's Log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Lose the hoodie: plain cotton T-shirt and nothing else. The hoodie will put the bar in an incorrect spot in your back, which'll be exacerbated if you tend to "high bar" from habit. And as inch said, cut your depth off JUST below parallel. You can kind of see the point where your descent starts to slow and you have to push deeper. Once you hit that, come right back up from the hips. This may fix your back angle as well (which isn't too bad, considering).
    Re the hoodie, it is not something I typically wear lifting (too restrictive), but it was sooooo cold in the garage. Though makes sense it will inadvertently adjust bar position and it's not a hardship to just wear between sets. Thanks for the feedback, a couple of printers to take on board, all which seem relatively straightforward fixes.

08/02/24 bw 93.1kg
    Session 8

SQ 110x3x5 (4:00)
    BP 82.5x5 4 80x5 (3:00)
    DL 140x5

Post night shifts suck, but is what it is. Don't know what happened on my fifth rep on set two benching, bar just didn't want to go back up after a sketchy (slightly too quick) descent. I'll go again same weight next week, alternatively I'll order some fractional plates, but I didn't anticipate using them so soon. Needing the increased rest time squatting. Blue book on order later today.

10 February 2024 - YouTube

Bar position definitely felt better, depth perhaps still a little low, but I at least didn't feel like I was going to fold under on the ascent.

Your kind words in my space made me think about why I'm always pressing ahead. I think that it's curiosity. I've always been curious. That's why I went from where I was through various degrees and then to weight lifting. I'm curious about what I could do if I tried. Always be curious. It serves one well.

Well done so far, @Greyhound. No tips, too green, except to say welcome and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Your kind words in my space made me think about why I'm always pressing ahead. I think that it's curiosity. I've always been curious. That's why I went from where I was through various degrees and then to weight lifting. I'm curious about what I could do if I tried. Always be curious. It serves one well.
    That is an interesting approach, and another way of tackling things with a positive mindset, which is what a lot of this game is. I already know, when my squat gets to 120kg for three sets of five, I'll sure be curious to see I can do it, as I've failed in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    Well done so far, @Greyhound. No tips, too green, except to say welcome and well done.
    Thanks for checking in

12/02/24 bw 94.1kg
    Session 9

SQ 112.5x3x5 (4:00)
    P 52.5x5 5 4 (3:30)
    DL 142.5 X5

Darn last pressing rep, fourth felt heavy, the fifth wasn't even getting push pressed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
    10 February 2024 - YouTube

Bar position definitely felt better, depth perhaps still a little low, but I at least didn't feel like I was going to fold under on the ascent.
    These look better indeed. Are you able to feel the bar below the spine of your scaps? I see most of your rear delt in the area below the bar, instead of under it. May keep pushing it a bit lower if not.

Videos of presses next!!

Quote Originally Posted by inchXinch View Post
    These look better indeed. Are you able to feel the bar below the spine of your scaps? I see most of your rear delt in the area below the bar, instead of under it. May keep pushing it a bit lower if not.

Videos of presses next!!
    On the basis I've a little bruising on my rear delts from the bar, it most definitely wasn't low enough! I'll keep at it, I don't think shoulder mobility is an issue, just practice. On my warm up sets with an empty bar, I dropped the pins one hole and it was easier to set the bar, but not a chance I could set up for my working sets like that, the starting height is too low.

Will record presses on Saturday, thanks

starting strength coach development program
    15/02/24 Session 10 bw 93.8kg

SQ 115x3x5
    BP 85x4 (mistake, put the 2.5's on, not 1.25's) 82.5x2x5
    DL 145x3x5
    Dips BWx3x10

Squat looked and felt much better, really squeezing my shoulders in to "form a shelf".
    That 85kg bench moved well (granted it was only 4 reps) considering it wasn't intended.
    Deadlifts feeling heavy, belted up but it's more of a hinderance than a benefit, just too thick. Mixed grip, should I use straps instead?

Started reading the blue book.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast