starting strength gym

Thread: How much is too much to deadlift for a 56 yr old male

Default How much is too much to deadlift for a 56 yr old male

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, this is Andy from Singapore. I have started using the SS app for about a month now.
    I weigh 86kg and currently Deadlift at 105kg. It is quote a bit of a strain for me. Can't really square off or fully extend the body at the finishing point for the last 2 reps.
    My question is how do I know if the weight is too much for me. Deadlift at 105kg of weights feels like is taking everything from my body to lift. The next session will be up to 110kg.
    Do I proceed on to 110kg for the next session or remain at 105kg until I can do the reps and finish off properly.
    OH, I get lightheaded after, especially for the first lift, is that normal?
    Kindly advise. Thank you

Best regards
    Andy

You can take smaller jumps. I'm on the older side too and find it easy to over whelm my lower backs ability to recover. Try 1-2kg instead of 5.

Andy - as @that_guy_over_there said, smaller jumps, since no one is going to maintain 5kg jumps on the deadlift for a long time. Shoot for 2.25kg (you'll need microplates) and you'll find that your deadlift continues to climb. As a 56yo myself, I'd say that your 105kg is a good start. Keep at it and you'll be pulling twice that before you ask that "is it heavy enough" question again. In our gym, we have a few folks your age that are pulling 250kg+ that ask themselves the same question, yet continue to add more.

re: form. Ideally you are getting to a completely upright position at your lockout. That's the definition of the lockout, when everything is in place. The reality is that on your top set, you just might not get quite there. Work hard to get completely locked out at that weight, but especially focus on doing it correctly for each and every warmup rep. You'll be locking out just fine at 105kg when your work set is 115kg and that 105kg is your final warmup rep.

Whatever you do, keep at it!

Thank you for the advise. Thank you very much, Bill and that guy over there.
    Regards, Andy