• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    10 Sep:

Squat 105kg x 5 x 3
    OHP 62.5kg x 3 x 5
    Halting Deadlift 115kg x 5, 105kg x 5

12 Sep:

Squat 130kg x 5, 117.5kg x 5 x 2
    BP 88.75kg x 5 - spotter lightly touched the bar on 5th rep...
    Chins 10-8-6-4-3 (focused on straighter arms, towards the end rested less than usual as I was pressed on time)

15 Sep:
    Squat 107.5kg x 5 x 3
    OHP 63.75kg x 3 x 4, 2, 1
    Halting DL 107.5kg x 5 x 2

17 Sep:

Today marks 2 months doing the program.

Squat 132.5kg x 5 (last rep was high), 120 x 5 x 2
    BP 81.25kg x 5 x 5
    Chins 9-8-7-5

Hi Danz. 2 months of consistent workouts is great. Keep it going. May I ask why you have apparently stopped deadlifts in favor of rack pulls and haltings?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dawson View Post
    Hi Danz. 2 months of consistent workouts is great. Keep it going. May I ask why you have apparently stopped deadlifts in favor of rack pulls and haltings?
    Thanks Matt! Doing my best. It seems like Squat is starting to slow down and will move to HLM next week.
    As for the DL, I had many technical issues that I'm figuring with my SSC. At first I'd pull with hips too low and use my back too much, and my legs - not enough. Then I corrected that and failed after 3 reps at 127.5kg. Rack Pulls were supposed to test the specific difficult position I seem to struggle at (around mid-shin) but the first time it was too high and too easy. Second time it was difficult again to the point my legs shook. Then DLed 127.5kg for 5 but seemed to default back to not straightening knees fast enough or not engaging with legs enough. Haltings are now used to strengthen that part I'm assuming, as well as learn to use legs more.

I'm guessing that once I get the technique dialed down, the DL will get back on track with perhaps 5kg (11lbs) additions at a time. The first month I also seemed to have issues with my left hamstrings a lot (probably because it was relatively weak) which I personally think could have been a limiting factor but I'm not sure. Overall the DL is a little disappointing but hoping to get back at it properly soon enough.

19 Sep:
    Squat 107.5kg x 5 x 3, felt pretty fatigued all over even with light day
    OHP 65kg x 1 x 8 (that’s 80% of my bodyweight, happy about that)
    Halting DL 110kg x 5 x 2 felt much better controlling the legs, I suspect that where I looked had not been consistent and affected my technical failures.

good stuff. man i wish that i knew about this when I was your age, you've got a ton of gains ahead of you. keep working with the coach and let's see some deads lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    good stuff. man i wish that i knew about this when I was your age, you've got a ton of gains ahead of you. keep working with the coach and let's see some deads lol
    Thanks man! Yes even I am thinking “I wish I started with this rather than all the bodybuilding stuff”..

Hopefully deads will catch up soon, trying to enjoy the process as much as possible

starting strength coach development program
    22 Sep:

Squat 120kg x 5 x 4
    BP 90kg x 3 x 3
    Chins 10-8-8 (with legs on last) -4

Back to deads on Tuesday

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast