starting strength gym

Thread: Second Attempt at SS - Log

Default Second Attempt at SS - Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This is my second attempt at the program. My last attempt was in December 2021 and I kept it going for a month and a half. I am doing the it by myself at home. I already read SS:BBT, and I'm reading PPST. I may also have to resort to online coaching in the future.

I am planning to post weekly updates with new data and a small comment for each workout.

Height: 168cm
    Weight: 111.8kg

Week 01:

2024-08-12

Squat: 50kg x5x3
    Press: 28kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 66kg x5x3

Found the workout weight for each exercise and completed three sets of each.

2024-08-14

Squat: 54kg x5x3
    Bench: 34kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 74kg x5x3

First attempt at the bench press in the program. The bar slowed down on the last rep.

2024-08-16

Squat: 58kg x5x3
    Press: 30kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 78kg x5x3

I caught the flu and couldn't sleep enough, but I managed to take a nap and decided I was good enough to train. Had a bit of difficulty locking out the last two reps of the deadlift.

Weekend Weight: 110.1kg
    Last edited by lspr_93; 08-25-2024 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Changed the date format to "YYYY-MM-DD". And added a few formatting tags.

Week 02:

2024-08-19

Squat: 62kg x5x3
    Bench: 38kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 82kg x5x3

I was fully recovered from the flu and the workout felt easier than last time.

A small callus appeared in my left hand due to an incorrect grip in the deadlift.

2024-08-21

Squat: 66kg x5x3
    Press: 32kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 86kg x5x3

I was feeling a discomfort in the right side of my hips but it went away after warming up the squat.

I have missed the depth on a few reps where I did not move the knees to the correct position.

2024-08-23

Squat: 70kg x5x3
    Bench: 42kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 90kg x5x3

I started working out with a bit of pain in the left thigh, which went away after warming up the squat. The work sets felt better after a few form corrections.

I failed locking out the last rep of the deadlift. Tried again after resting and failed after three reps. Decided to use straps and completed the work set with relative ease.

I will try to improve my grip for the next workout and only use the straps again if needed.

Weekend Weight: 110.6kg

Next week I will add power cleans to the program. I have practiced a bit with the empty bar and it is hard to get into the rack position. I will try stretching at the rack and practice some more.
    Last edited by lspr_93; 08-25-2024 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Added a few formatting tags.

Looking forward to seeing new results this second time!

Week 03:

2024-08-26

Squat: 74kg x5x3
    Press: 34kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 94kg x5x3

I had poor form on the squat. I need to correct it in order to hit proper depth in all reps.

Had a bit of difficulty in the first set of the press, but corrected it by watching the video tutorial.

I used the hook grip in the deadlift this time. Felt better than the double overhand.

2024-08-28

Squat: 76kg x5x3
    Bench: 44kg x5,5,4
    P.Clean: 32kg x5x3

I had bad form on the squats. I bought a tripod and filmed the sets. I wasn't hitting proper depth even on the warm ups. It improves when I push my knees a bit further than what I thought was right.

I failed on the bench press after trying four times. Always on the last rep of the last set. Feeling a bit disappointed for failing so early in the program. Will try again next time.

I was able to complete the first sets of the power clean with good form. Stopped adding weight when I noticed I started to use my arms to help the bar go up.

2024-08-30

Squat: 50kg x5x3
    Press: 36kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 98kg x5x3

I've only been able to squat with proper form with 50kg after paying attention to my knees. I think I can jump way closer to where I was next workout if I figure what I am doing wrong.

I was able to complete the sets on the press, but I really need to work on better technique.

I completed the deadlift with the alternate grip. Felt even better than the hook grip.

Weekend Weight: 109.3kg

I'm going to get an online SS coach to help me for the next month.

Good luck with your workout plan. Keep at it!

Has filming your lifts been helping?

Week 04:

2024-09-02

Squat: 76kg x5x3
    Bench: 44kg x5x3
    P.Clean: 36kg x3x5

I decided to go back to my 76kg squat and was able to do it with better form than before, but still only getting close to parallel.

The first set of the bench press felt easy, so I decided try 46kg and noticed I wouldn't be able to complete it yet. Completed the two sets of 44kg and called it a workout.

The power cleans were alright, but I think I may be on the less explosive side of the spectrum.

2024-09-04

Squat: 60kg x5x3
    Press: 36kg x5x3
    Deadlift: 102kg x5x3

I hired an online coach to help me with my problems. The changes in weights are his adjustments after our first interview.

Even with the weight reduction my squat is only reaching almost parallel. I also recorded my warm ups and I am missing parallel on most of those as well.

I noticed that something was wrong with the press as I did not feel the bounce. Turns out I am driving the bar up too early in the movement.

I successfully completed the deadlift with alternate grip. Tried the double overhand but the bar slipped on the second rep. The coach couldn't find many issues, but that is because I filmed it from a bad angle.

2024-09-06

Squat: 61kg x5x3
    Bench: 42kg x5x3
    P.Clean: 30kg x3x3

After getting the first video of my workout the coach decided to keep the weights light so I could practice the form with his inputs. And I did everything wrong again. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the squats, but I'm nowhere near giving up.

The bench press was reduced and felt reasonably easy. Perhaps I could add 4kg next time, but I will let the coach decide.

I reseted the power clean and did them with reasonable form. I am surely lacking in power, but I like doing the power cleans. I will let the coach decide if they stay in the program.

Weekend Weight: 108.3kg

For the first time I could notice a waist size reduction. I am measuring every weekend and I lost 3cm this time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 3432432143214321909870908 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing new results this second time!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Good luck with your workout plan. Keep at it!
    Thanks. I will achieve better results this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanelaidir85 View Post
    Has filming your lifts been helping?
    It is helping me identify a few issues and correct them, but some patterns are hard to fix even when you can see them. And this is why they insist that you should learn the correct form from the start.