starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back Squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    Maybe if he pushed his knees more forward in the initial descent phase, then the knees-forward movement wouldn't occur in the hole? Does that make sense?

Maybe that accomplishes the same thing as thinking 'sit down'.
    In this case, yes, I think it would accomplish the same thing. There's no right or wrong cue for Collegio to be using as long as it produces the desired result. Different cues work better for different folks sometimes.

Steve Collegio: how upright you are depends, too great extent, on your individual anthropometry. But by definition, the high-bar squat will not have you leaning forward as much as the low-bar version. What Ras said is what you should be thinking: sit straight down getting the knees out early and aim to put your hips down right between your thighs.

-S.

For what it's worth, I don't think "hips back" at all when I high bar squat. Instead, I think "knees out" and "ass down between my feet." Keep your chest up and a tight lower back, shove your knees out and forward, and try to put your ass right between your heels. That's what I do, anyways.
    In this case, yes, I think it would accomplish the same thing. There's no right or wrong cue for Collegio to be using as long as it produces the desired result. Different cues work better for different folks sometimes.

Steve Collegio: how upright you are depends, too great extent, on your individual anthropometry. But by definition, the high-bar squat will not have you leaning forward as much as the low-bar version. What Ras said is what you should be thinking: sit straight down getting the knees out early and aim to put your hips down right between your thighs.

-S.
    Good talk, guys. I like doing this. This is how I'm going to learn. Thanks for helping.

I guess we shouldn't start jerking each other off just yet--Steve, get back under the bar and post some more videos.

nothing to it but to do it. Thanks so much guys for your input.

another video. not sure if anyone is familiar with olympic lifts, but here is my 225 clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuDZQyxmOA

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Collegio View Post
    nothing to it but to do it. Thanks so much guys for your input.

another video. not sure if anyone is familiar with olympic lifts, but here is my 225 clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuDZQyxmOA
    Steve, I see an early arm bend plus jumping forward to get under the bar. Granted, I mainly coach the power clean variant, so this is a little outside my balliwick, but try quickly stop-starting the video for yourself right around the moment before you start the 2nd pull, and you'll clearly see that your elbows are already bent.

Anyone else see that?

-S.

Here is a snapshot of you taken before you start the second pull, bar is just at kneecap level:

You can make out some arm bend, but it's much easier to see it on the video itself of you pause-play it quickly.

-S.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow now that you posted that picture, I can totally see it now. Need to keep my arms locked and straight atleast to my "pockets"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123