starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bench Grip Width - too wide?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    He is not pushing with the feet as far as the quads show; legs look like they're just laying there. Hands were perfect, according to Rip's description on body mechanics - hands straight above elbows when bar is on chest is longest ROM and best for strength development.

Ok so i uploaded a vid from the same workout but from the side view. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BqzGvUKzrM

And next time i'll try and get my feet in the vid as well, so you guys can tell me whether i'm planting them properly or not

with your last clip that actually allowed a view of what you are doing (side view is not good) the grip should be a touch wider. But ultimately, play around with grip that allows you to have a mix between strong off the chest and moderate lockout.

^So now you're saying my grip is too narrow? and i should get it wider again after i was told to make it a touch narrower? ok i'm confused....

Looked fine to me..

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    ^So now you're saying my grip is too narrow? and i should get it wider again after i was told to make it a touch narrower? ok i'm confused....

I am saying your grip is possibly too narrow.

Others said that it should be narrower.

You choose what you want.

Just wondering wether grip width is a function of arm length or shoulder width.
    I know its should witdth in the press but I wasn't sure about the bench.
    (I am 195cm and have my index fingers on the ring).

Koalala i think it's a both. If your shoulders are really wide, then you'll probably need a wider grip. If your humerus is really long, you'll also need a wider grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalala View Post
    Just wondering wether grip width is a function of arm length or shoulder width.
    I know its should witdth in the press but I wasn't sure about the bench.
    (I am 195cm and have my index fingers on the ring).
    its a function of radius/ulna length, humerus lenght, shoulder width as well as the muscle attachment points on said muscles.

Ultimately, with a raw lifter, there is a sticking point x amount above the chest. You can alter where that sticking point is by manipulating the width of the grip.

Closer = further up, wider = lower down

for a lot of raw lifters, closer will be better because its easier to fix lockout than fixing off the chest. Just look at James Henderson, Mendy, hoornstra, et al. Even coan who was a mad bencher for somebody with monkey long arms, benched at a moderate grip.

But of course, not all. Mike MacDOnald was a fairly wide .

Ultimately a bit of playing around is required to work out where you are at your strongest. To add to the fun, this sweet spot can change depending on other components in your training

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast