starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back rounding on deadlift - acceptable or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Your limb lengths, deadlift angles and the unavoidable back rounding looks identical to me.

I showed some lifts to Rip and he said it was rather bad.

Can you show us a video of you deadlifting a warm up weight?

I have found that it is impossible for me to get any amount of back arch when deadlifting the conventional way. My hips & there fore squat stance are are pretty wide. And I have recently found that I can get the right back position, but only with a sumo style. My feet need to be just outside of arms.

Deadlift just doesnt seem to work for me any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Your limb lengths, deadlift angles and the unavoidable back rounding looks identical to me.
    Do you have good hamstring flexibility? I didn't deadlift most of my first year of strength training because my hamstrings were too tight to set up properly with normal lumbar extension. After lots of stretching, I can now DL with a neutral spine (need to take a video to be sure).

I have found that it is impossible for me to get any amount of back arch when deadlifting the conventional way. My hips & there fore squat stance are are pretty wide. And I have recently found that I can get the right back position, but only with a sumo style. My feet need to be just outside of arms.

No, Confuzzled's anthropometry should not necessitate the use of the sumo deadlift. He'll maybe never be a world class deadlifter with his limb lengths (needs longer arms), but he ain't long-legged enough relative to his torso to require a sumo stance either.

-S.

starting strength coach development program

I don't think i round on my warm up sets, but i just want to know if my slight rounding is actually that bad

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    No, Confuzzled's anthropometry should not necessitate the use of the sumo deadlift. He'll maybe never be a world class deadlifter with his limb lengths (needs longer arms), but he ain't long-legged enough relative to his torso to require a sumo stance either.

-S.
    I don't think i'll be a world class deadlifter but i do want to get bigger and stronger. Did you look at my latest deadlift? Still need to fix it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123