starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squat technique fix.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    If you're placing the bar on your back correctly and it slides down when the weights get heavy, then you're probably not keeping your chest up properly. I had this problem for weeks - in fact, it was so bad that I had to reset my squat to fix it. Chest up, back tight, and focus on doing this from the second you get under the bar to the second you rack it. It's easy to lose this tightness in between reps since you think you're "taking a break" and you slack off a bit, but you can't do that. If the bar is on your back, you have to be tight. Make sure your chest is up and your back is tight before you actually unrack the bar. Trust me, it is not easy to set your chest position correctly when you have a heavy weight on your back. It's much easier to set it up correctly before you stand up with the bar than afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    If you're placing the bar on your back correctly and it slides down when the weights get heavy, then you're probably not keeping your chest up properly. I had this problem for weeks - in fact, it was so bad that I had to reset my squat to fix it. Chest up, back tight, and focus on doing this from the second you get under the bar to the second you rack it. It's easy to lose this tightness in between reps since you think you're "taking a break" and you slack off a bit, but you can't do that. If the bar is on your back, you have to be tight. Make sure your chest is up and your back is tight before you actually unrack the bar. Trust me, it is not easy to set your chest position correctly when you have a heavy weight on your back. It's much easier to set it up correctly before you stand up with the bar than afterwards.
    Keeping my elbows up also keeps my chest up, am I correct?
    And really thanks, you gave me some motivation to keep up sqauting.
    I will try next time keep my chest the best I can and if its would be ok then I really owe you. =)

Quote Originally Posted by PomFect View Post
    Keeping my elbows up also keeps my chest up, am I correct?
    Many people find this to be the case, but for me it wasn't a strong enough cue. I can keep my elbows up without keeping my chest up, and that's exactly what I was doing for a while. Make sure you actively think about keeping your chest up at all times during your squats.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Many people find this to be the case, but for me it wasn't a strong enough cue. I can keep my elbows up without keeping my chest up, and that's exactly what I was doing for a while. Make sure you actively think about keeping your chest up at all times during your squats.
    Thats just what I'm doing. Now that you tell me that.. I will try keep my chest up the best as I can.
    Tommorow I'll take a new vidoe and post here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123