starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I absolutely positively cannot get rid of "butt wink"

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Both actually... I can't see very well, and I can't see anything else wrong.

Don't forget to stretch the adductors, too.
    Hahaha....thanks, will do.

What the hell is a butt wink?

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    What the hell is a butt wink?
    See posts 10 and 11 in this thread

I have this pretty bad. I just saw it in the mirror yesterday. Did any of this help to fix your problem?

Are you looking sideways into a mirror while you're squatting? For the health of your neck and everything attached to it, stop this.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Are you looking sideways into a mirror while you're squatting? For the health of your neck and everything attached to it, stop this.
    I know I'm not him, but I noticed it looking sideways in a mirror as well, doing light warmup sets. I hope he isn't doing working sets looking sideways though >_>

I identified a few problems in my squat...the first was going unnecessarily deep, and the second was not letting my knees slide forward ENOUGH...I think. Obviously your knees sliding forward isn't necessary, and too much is a bad thing. Previously my knees were sliding forward, and I think I overcompensated, which caused my back to round.

So to fix the depth issue I started doing box squats. I'm also stretching by getting into the bottom of the squat with a bar on my back and holding it (while sitting on the box), making sure my butt isn't winking.

I also tried stretching before lifting, which has helped. I noticed that as my sets went on, my wink lessened, possibly because I was more stretched out. Of course, not many people advocate stretching before lifting, and for good reason, so hopefully I don't always have to do this (I'm talking static stretching, not dynamic stretching).

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Lolz, no, I'm not doing that. I noticed it while warming up doing body squats, and it was VERY pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSev View Post
    I know I'm not him, but I noticed it looking sideways in a mirror as well, doing light warmup sets. I hope he isn't doing working sets looking sideways though >_>

I identified a few problems in my squat...the first was going unnecessarily deep, and the second was not letting my knees slide forward ENOUGH...I think. Obviously your knees sliding forward isn't necessary, and too much is a bad thing. Previously my knees were sliding forward, and I think I overcompensated, which caused my back to round.

So to fix the depth issue I started doing box squats. I'm also stretching by getting into the bottom of the squat with a bar on my back and holding it (while sitting on the box), making sure my butt isn't winking.

I also tried stretching before lifting, which has helped. I noticed that as my sets went on, my wink lessened, possibly because I was more stretched out. Of course, not many people advocate stretching before lifting, and for good reason, so hopefully I don't always have to do this (I'm talking static stretching, not dynamic stretching).
    How do you know if your going unnecessarily low? I thought you had to go all the way down to ensure a good bounce. I have read the squat chapter 3 times, the 3rd time I highlighted everything I thought was important, so basically the whole chapter. I don't know what to do, but I don't want to stretch. It makes you weak they say.

Quote Originally Posted by drewcarroll2 View Post
    I have this pretty bad. I just saw it in the mirror yesterday. Did any of this help to fix your problem?
    Stretch the shit out of yourself during your off days and do hip mobility work before squatting. It fixed my problem. In fact I finished a stretching session just now, getting ready to squat big tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Stretch the shit out of yourself during your off days and do hip mobility work before squatting. It fixed my problem. In fact I finished a stretching session just now, getting ready to squat big tomorrow.
    I might be the only person here that doesn't know how to do this. Sorry for my ignorance but would you mind telling me some "hip mobility" exercises and stretching?

I usually just do that deep squat and put my elbows between my knees to push them out for a couple of times and call it a good stretch, then warm up w/ the bar, some weight, etc etc

starting strength coach development program
    The more weight, the less wink.

And, get some shoes or (gasp) put 2 1/2's under your heels. I am very inflexible and had pronounced wink, but my 3/4" heel has all but eliminated it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast