starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Thumbs down Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys,

BB.com poster and have been running SS for a while. I was almost finished and went into surgery to remove a ruptured appendix. Back into it again before I move to Texas Method.

Since I was brand new to weight lifting when I started, the power clean has been a bit of an issue for me. I still think its all arms/shoulders and very little jump power, but will appreciate your feedback. Before surgery I went from a relatively easy 70kg to a miserable fail on 72.5kg the next B session. I'm back to 62.5kg as of last night, and thought my form was better so I put 72.5kg on the bar and the exact same thing happened.

Help?

62.5kg Clean: Last night's session

72.5kg Clean: Failed attempt last night
    Last edited by ngolsen; 04-21-2011 at 03:42 PM.

A few problems:

1. You setting up with your shins too far from the bar. Try standing with your shins about 1" from the bar and start from there; grab the bar, straighten your arms, lift your chest, push your ass as far back as you can, then pull.

2. Your arms are bent by the time the bar reaches your knees. This prevents the hip-extension power from actually reaching the bar, and turns the movement into a fast upright row. Your arms should stay straight until your hips and knees fully extended and your shoulders are shrugged as high as they will go.

3. Your camera angle could use some work. Get as close as you can to shooting at a 45° angle (from the front) rather than directly from the side. This will improve your chances of getting useful feedback.

Hi... I've taken a couple more today with what you said in mind. Can you please tell me if anything changed in a positive way (I got 154lb racked, but failed to get under the bar with 176lb)

The first rep on the 1st vid looks much better.

The starting position looks better to me. You're still pulling with bent arms though. Try pulling a few deadlift-and-jump reps, with straight arms, followed by one clean with your attention centered on the tops of your shoulders rather than on your arms.