starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift, clean high pull, squat form check

Default deadlift, clean high pull, squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Deadlift, 185lbs. What I see is that the bar doesn't travel totally vertically, and moves a bit to clear my knees. Also the bar sort of hangs freely and isn't in contact with my legs the whole time:

Clean high pull, 105lbs. I just started doing these as a replacement for power cleans because my wrist is messed up and I can't rack the weight. I see myself using my arms too much to pull the weight up, but I think that will self-correct at higher weights.

Squat, 175lbs. I just switched from high bar to low bar. The only issues I see are that I'm still a little high, and that I still need to stand all the way up at the top of the rep (hips should sort of thrust forward at the top, I think?)

Just had a quick look at your "high pull".

You are going to have to start again from scratch! The arms should not be involved in the movement in any way other than some dangly ropes from which the barbell hangs.

You should jump and force a very violent hip extension and shrug, this should make your plates rattle and the bar "float" weightlessly to shoulder height. Currently you are reverse curling it! Jump & shrug so hard, that if you let go of the bar it would hit the ceiling. Do NOT reverse curl it.

OK, I will try that. I think I had Pierre Spies' clean high pull in my mind, as he seems to be using his arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3muAkT0K9Y#t=1m5s. That's probably a more advanced modification to the lift.

Watch your first deadlift rep.. your hips rise before the bar breaks off the ground. Find that position where the bar starts off the ground and that is where you need to set up. Also, drop the bar more rapidly - you waste time and energy by slowly lowering it (and yes, when the weight gets heavy, you're gonna want to avoid going around your knees like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    OK, I will try that. I think I had Pierre Spies' clean high pull in my mind, as he seems to be using his arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3muAkT0K9Y#t=1m5s. That's probably a more advanced modification to the lift.
    A lot of Rugby/American football players just do glorified bodybuilding stuff in the gym, not a good source to learn technique. even pierre however is usign his legs & hips to drive the bar up even if he is cheating it somewhat with his arms (which is probably fine for the reason he is doing the exercise). Your technique hwoever should be even stricter than pierre's. Just a jump and simultaneous VIOLENT shrug. Thats it. I also suggest you try them with a snatch grip, much harder to fuck up.