starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Am I overdoing the hips, or is this in the ballpark? I just read the Press excerpt, and I don't see what I'm doing wrong, but it's too ugly to be right.

Thanks in advance.

Your elbows need to be in front of the bar and you don't need to lean so far back on the way up. You're trying to turn it into an incline bench press, basically, which is a technique some lifters use for really heavy weights, but that's not the point of training for strength here. Get your Elbows out in front, then move your chin back as the bar comes up as to barely miss hitting your chin, then get back under the bar as soon as it's over your head, like you have been doing. You are pushing the bar away from your body then moving it back under, sort of like a C motion. It should be as straight of a line as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to look. Much appreciated.

Your elbows are in front of the bar on most of your reps. Start off standing up straight. Then push the hips and drive the bar upwards. It will happen quickly. One-two. Aim for your nose with the bar. It is getting too far in front of you.

Also fix your top position. On some reps it looks like you're not coming through to have the barbell over your shoulders, you're still leaned back a bit. Focusing on pushing the upper body through and shrugging up usually seems to help this.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks very much TomC and jmoye. Way helpful.