starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check: Round 2

Default Squat form check: Round 2

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First round is here.

Narrowed my stance by about 6-8" (yes it was that wide) and raised the bar about two inches to a proper low bar position. These is from my Friday workout:

Set 1

Set 2

Set 3 - forgot to mute it when I was editing.

Anything else I can improve on?

edit:

Sorry for the low quality. Who knew a device with one purpose would struggle with said purpose...
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 02-06-2012 at 09:16 AM.

there are some, i repeat, only some knee caving action on a few reps but that was it

good job

Head wants to raise very slightly as you look down with your eyeballs. I am Being extremely nitpicky here. Keep the chin down as this helps with hip drive and will form habits that can help or hurt when you are squatting 405.

Nitpick away, I won't be able to improve if I don't know I'm doing something incorrectly.

@ simonsky: I get lose every once in awhile so I have to work on that mentally. So far "tight as f*ck" seems to be a bit of a miss...I'll work on tight and driving the knees out.

@ Mac Ward: I have a tendency to stare at a point 6' away for the entire rep, I suspect that is what's causing my chin to raise. Thanks for pointing that out.

Depth seems okay? My wife was watching from the side (she knows to look at the crease in the shorts compared to the top of the knee) and thought I was going to far below parallel, but I can't seem to stop myself until I'm below it.

I see a lot (from what I think) good squats (below parallel). I see some that were questionable, a few not.

I think your squats are getting better (from an untrained/not a coach person).

Good job.

The theme of the day seems to be to descend with hips first and then having the knees catch up. If you cure that (TUBOW, "Knees first") your knees won't have to come forward at the bottom. Cuz they'll already be there. Eh?

jp

Quote Originally Posted by jep6095 View Post
    The theme of the day seems to be to descend with hips first and then having the knees catch up. If you cure that (TUBOW, "Knees first") your knees won't have to come forward at the bottom. Cuz they'll already be there. Eh?

jp

Get the knees set correctly and the rest should "fall" into place?

I have a spare fence post I plan on using tomorrow night as I didn't see your response until just now. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of re-learning the entire lift. It'll make for a long workout tomorrow night, but I'm really struggling this one.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's quite a bit to digest and implement (at least for me).

@ jp: are you really in MN? I'm about 3 hours north of Duluth and 5.5-6hrs from Minneapolis.

My knees don't find their proper position until I'm just about in the hole if my video analysis is correct. I believe somebody pointed this out in round 1 but I didn't get the jest of it until I was reading page (55/56) and searching the forums for TUBOW. I feel like a massive tool.

edit:

If anyone else is struggling with knees first I found this. Quite useful and seeing some recent squats of sking1001 I'd say it works!
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 02-07-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Tried the tubow last night and think I'm heading in the right direction. I taped all my sets and saw some good reps, but after a 3 hour workout I had no energy to edit the tape to upload it. I'll stick with the tubow for a few more sessions to help drill "knees out" into my head.

My wife actually said "that's what squats are supposed to look like? Yeah, you weren't doing that." Completely obvious to her, while I've been completely oblivious for the past two months.

Thanks again for all recommendations, I really appreciate it.

starting strength coach development program
    How did the changes to your DL workout?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast