starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat form critique

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    You should not do a number of things that js3424 recommended.

Instead, lean over a little more, go a little deeper, and keep the weight in the middle of your foot. Your squat is actually in decent shape. A few tweaks and you will be there. Weightlifting shoes should be high on your list of things to buy.

Well, js is not the first to comment on my knee position. I certainly am glad to hear any and all suggestions, especially given my extreme novice-ness. TomC, I really appreciate someone of your experience taking the time to help me out. I guess the bar position issue is better, and I'll continue to try to tweak in the ways you suggest. Do you have a favorite weightlifting shoe to recommend?

I like the Rogue Do-Wins. They are reasonably inexpensive (as these things go) and they do their job without complaint. Nike and Adidas are great shoes, too. It's tough to go wrong these days, unless you get a shoe with an EVA midsole. You don't want anything that squishes. Really high heels are another thing to avoid, but most shoes now have taken care of that, too. A 3/4" heel is pretty standard.

As for knees, they will almost always travel in front of the toes, unless you have long tibias and short femurs. There is very little correlation between what happens in an air squat and what happens with a heavy bar on your back. I cannot really tell where the bar is on your back, but from the angle provided it looks about right. You are doing fine. Just go a little deeper.

starting strength coach development program
    Most awesome feedback. MUCH appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12