starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead press form

Default Overhead press form

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

I have recently started the Starting Strength program. I am 6'1", 185 pounds and I have a reach of approximately 73 inches. I'm a lanky guy. I've noticed with my overhead press that my elbows tend to flare out during the motion. I understand that it is important to keep your elbows in. However, I find it difficult to do that. Hell, I find it difficult to do that WITHOUT holding a barbell. I attribute this to my lankiness. So, I wonder... is there a fix for guys with my frame? Maybe a change in grip? Or, is this just a problem us lanky guys have that we just have to live with. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

I'm 5'10 with the reach of somebody 6'2. I was letting my elbows flare out to the side which made pressing quite difficult. Turns out my grip was way to wide. I've narrowed the grip and accepted the fact that the bar won't rest on my delts (which is completely acceptable) and I've been able to increase the weight ever since. The narrower grip has allowed me to setup properly and it's much easier to keep the elbows in.

Perhaps you could take a video for a form check?

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to experiment with a more narrow grip. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll post a video. Thank you.