starting strength gym

Thread: Breathing while squatting

Default Breathing while squatting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So Im all around confused, Im having alot of trouble breathing while squatting. I try and take 2 or 3 breathes and then TRY to take a large breathe to valsalva because I feel like Im dieing for air. The problem is I cant seem to breathe in to capacity and by the end of the set I am so deflated that I can hardly rack the bar. It's hard to explain but it's very evident in the video as my brother is screaming at me to take a full breathe (granted hes watching my chest and not my stomach). Any experiences with this or solutions? Can I breathe normally then pack in the air for Valsalva or is it necessary to stay as tight as possible at the top of the squat as well?

I don't know how much weight that is, but when the bar gets heavy, it's hard to expand your thorax with the bar on your back, it's pretty clear when you try to do a set of 20. Those 2-3 breaths you take look funny and are probably not helping you. Just breathe as you would normally breathe when tired then take a big breath and squat.

And spending too much time with the bar on your back doesn't help either. Don't take excessive time to do your set. Take as long as you need, but don't spend half an hour under it.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 04-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I don't know how much weight that is, but when the bar gets heavy, it's hard to expand your thorax with the bar on your back, it's pretty clear when you try to do a set of 20. Those 2-3 breaths you take look funny and are probably not helping you. Just breathe as you would normally breathe when tired then take a big breath and squat.

And spending too much time with the bar on your back doesn't help either. Don't take excessive time to do your set. Take as long as you need, but don't spend half an hour under it.
    Amen to that. I unracked, squatted and my belt was in the wrong position. I re-racked and then did my set of 5.. .It killed my 2nd set. Will not do that again.

OP: Just unrack it, take in a large breath, hold it (tighten back/core) and squat. Rinse and repeat each rep.

Exactly. I mean, don't rush it but try to get it over as soon as possible.

As carlos said its very difficult to get air in when the weight gets heavy. How do u guys breathe between each rep and get enough air in to feel the support?
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    As carlos said its very difficult to get air in when the weight gets heavy. How do u guys breathe between each rep and get enough air in to feel the support?
    J
    I just take a huge breath, while expanding my stomach out. Maybe I haven't hit heavy weights at 340lbs yet. But, I can get deep breaths everything.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    J
    I try to breathe as much as possible. It's not as much as I would be able to breathe without 300 or 400 lbs on my back, but it seems to be enough.