starting strength gym

Thread: High Bar Squat Check

Default High Bar Squat Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all. I'm 5''6 160lb and 19 yo. Here's the link to my squats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNffvAs11mY

Do i need to stick my butt out more?
    What else should I focus on?
    Thanks a lot.

Main problems;

You are relying too much on a bounce out of the bottom AND you are getting round-backed when you are half way up.

Tighten the whole thing up. The fact you are getting hunched over trying to come back up, shows that the weight is over the upper limit of what you can control. This is why you are cheating by bouncing so hard out of the hole. Drop a little weight and staying FUCKING TIGHT going down and also coming back up. Practice squatting with no bounce at all. Either by pausing at the bottom of an ATG squat, or doing parallel squats and changing direction rapidly as soon as you hit parallel - so you never bounce of your joints. This latter method is the same as in Rip's LBBS.

Like this:

In the long run you can adopt a squat with some moderate bounce out of an ATG position, but I dont think you are ready for it yet. As you aren't under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Main problems;

You are relying too much on a bounce out of the bottom AND you are getting round-backed when you are half way up.

Tighten the whole thing up. The fact you are getting hunched over trying to come back up, shows that the weight is over the upper limit of what you can control. This is why you are cheating by bouncing so hard out of the hole. Drop a little weight and staying FUCKING TIGHT going down and also coming back up. Practice squatting with no bounce at all. Either by pausing at the bottom of an ATG squat, or doing parallel squats and changing direction rapidly as soon as you hit parallel - so you never bounce of your joints. This latter method is the same as in Rip's LBBS.

Like this:

In the long run you can adopt a squat with some moderate bounce out of an ATG position, but I dont think you are ready for it yet. As you aren't under control.
    DAMN! he's got the shoes I was going to buy! that could be me!....squished on the floor, lol

alright thanks a lot dastardly, i'll reset the weight to 225lb. Does the fact that my butt curves inward at the bottom mean that I'm lower than I can handle? And that guy in the video is a beast..

Dont worry about the "buttwink". The fact you are divebombing to get a strong rebound out of the bottom only to spring back up in a hunched forwards position, shows the weight is too much for you to handle. Its not that it is too low, because you are getting round backed when you are well above parallel on your way UP.

Try the things I said.

I disagree with the "bouncing off the joints". I think the bottom position is fine. The loose lower back on the way up can be corrected by using correct hip drive and concentrating on keeping the back tight on the ascent.

Hip drive for the high bar squat is not as pronounced as for the low bar squat. However, your knees come forward about halfway up because you are not properly finishing the drive with your hips. Your hips need to rise straight up to the top of the movement. You are driving with your hips for the bottom half of the ascent rather than the entire ascent.

there is nothing wrong with the bounce you're using

starting strength coach development program
    I think your bottom position is alright, if you force your knees out more, you can probably get less rounding at the bottom. If you get a belt that will help you stay tighter throughout the motion to reduce looseness throughout the lift