starting strength gym

Thread: Smolov

Default Smolov

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm starting up the Smolov squat cycle next week and everything I've read suggests doing the warm-up protyazhka. But everywhere only gives a vague explanation of what it is. Does anyone know what it is and how to do it? I'm really exciting about starting this program and want to do it right. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's what I read on the subject. Not my words, so don't blame me if it's not true!

"A protyazhka is a snatch without any knee dip whatsoever. Smolov plugs it in a time tested combo: a snatch grip long pull x 3-5 reps + a wide grip press behind the neck x 3-5 reps + a squat with the bar on the shoulders x 3-5 reps. I believe that you would do even better if you ditch back squats in favor of overhead squats. The latter are great for developing SQ specific flexibility and enforcing a good technique the hard way. Smolov's warm-up calls for four to five sets of the above combo."

Source: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/dy...-crew-1135423/

That's what I've read...is it basically a snatch grip dead lift with a high pull, the the press and squat?

Basically yeah. For the long pull, technically it's more of an arm exercise not relying on the hips to thrust it up. The point is to get the upper back/traps warmed up I guess.

Got it! Thanks for the help