starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat check!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    You must use as wide of a grip as your flexibility will allow. This varies for everyone and you'll stretch out a little bit after a few workouts. Shoulder dislocations can help, but it's not going to change much. How wide you need to be is how wide you need to be. It might help to get a video at angle from 45 degrees from the back. In fact, that's my preferred angle for watching squats for a variety of reasons.

It depends on the person whether or not you need to reset. Generally, being conservative, I'd reset and work on things because, really, it's more than just the bar position that is off here.

Also, why are you microloading your squats? At 2.5lbs per workout, that's 7.5lbs per week. This is less efficient than the basic advanced novice program which calls for two 5lbs jumps per week with a light day. I think you'd improve overall recovery and progress faster on advanced novice.

yeah i've had my grip too narrow which should be easy enough to fix, i'll have my partner take a video of my last warmup and my last work set (i'm gonna give 330 a try).

then switch to advanced novice
    Last edited by Brian Zahn; 04-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post
    @tom C read the book a few times, check up on it once a week or so, but will re-read squat before my workout tomorrow
    Sorry. I read one of your earlier comments as you had only been watching videos and reading this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Sorry. I read one of your earlier comments as you had only been watching videos and reading this forum.

No worries mate, we all overlook things and misread things, I know i certainly do, which is why I really need to get back to the source material

Hey i made a video of my lift today and i made some adjustments.

Widened my hands out to facilitate the lower bar position, which cause me to get the 'stretch reflex/bounce' higher up, causing (at least it looks it to me) my knees to track less forward.

Results it was an easy lift, and I now fully agree that i could get to the 400's without breaking LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W2WQWnIBg

Thanks for the help guys and if i still look like shit please tell me

You're still not looking down. You could do a little better job of shoving your knees out.

The squat looks pretty good from that angle.

yeah, wednesday, i'm all over looking down, was just so amazed by how much better this was that i blanked on everything else, will also make an increased effort for knees out. Is there a better angle for showing knees out?

I think your squat looks fine.

The angle is good. Just look down.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks guys! i'm so happy that i finally have a lift that doesnt cause people to vomit!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12