starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power clean form check

Everything is all wrong here. Read the book or trawl some old threads for a detailed breakdown of learning method.

Your bar path is forward off of the floor. You don't get good hips into it. You use the jump and shrug.

Disclaimer: A lot of what I say will be controversial with the SS community but I'll give my take on what you need to fix to have a better power clean.

1. Start with your hips lower with the barbell over the base of your big toe. Weight should be about in the middle of the foot.
    2. As the bar leaves the floor, start sweeping it in towards you as you drive the knees back.
    3. As the bar passes your knees, you are focusing on keeping a tight back and keeping your shoulders over the bar. Continue sweeping the bar towards you. Hamstrings should be stretched out and in a position to take advantage of the stretch reflex. Knees will start to re-bend (double knee bend) but do not consciously do that.
    4. Explode up with the hips as you bring the bar into your hips. (They should hit or at least brush depending on your technique). DO NOT FOCUS ON JUMPING. Jumping focuses too much on ankle extension and can lead to the lifter not extending the hips. If you jump off the floor that's okay, but the hips have to be the main focus.
    5. Re-bend the knees and receive the bar.

Those instructions are way ahead of the basics that the OP needs to concentrate on.

Then share a cue or something to work on besides just saying to read what other people have said.

I realize I gave a very detailed breakdown. And OP should focus on one piece at a time. Ideally should reference some book/videos to help learn the techniqe.

OP, have you actually learned the lift using Rip's teaching method, i.e., from the top down?

PFerrari's stuff is the more standard way the clean is coached by Oly. folks. It is very different from Rip's method and has a fundamentally different philosophy about the lift.

And if that's what you want, you should seek out an Oly. coach or someone like that to help you through the lift. But you won't find much instruction for PFerrari's method here or in any of Rip's resources, books, etc.

If you want to learn the lift Rip's way, I suggest you actually record yourself going through Rip's learning method from scratch and get some feedback on it from the folks on here.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    OP, have you actually learned the lift using Rip's teaching method, i.e., from the top down?

PFerrari's stuff is the more standard way the clean is coached by Oly. folks. It is very different from Rip's method and has a fundamentally different philosophy about the lift.

And if that's what you want, you should seek out an Oly. coach or someone like that to help you through the lift. But you won't find much instruction for PFerrari's method here or in any of Rip's resources, books, etc.

If you want to learn the lift Rip's way, I suggest you actually record yourself going through Rip's learning method from scratch and get some feedback on it from the folks on here.
    Very true. I'm not sure what OP's goals are so maybe that would have been a better question to ask. The high hips / jump & shrug is a Rip thing and if you're doing his program, you should do it his way.

thanks guys and thanks Pferrari. I have just started reading the chapter on PCs but not before this recording. BUT, before anyone jumps on me for that, this was recorded during a private with Starting Strength coach (someone who worked with Rip for 5 years). This was my first time ever doing them so wanted to get some additional feedback. I will re-post after a chapter review and some tuning up. I wouldn't have posted if I had have known they were so drastically off, but even finding out that they were completely wrong is useful. thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    Very true. I'm not sure what OP's goals are so maybe that would have been a better question to ask. The high hips / jump & shrug is a Rip thing and if you're doing his program, you should do it his way.
    My goals are to translate my newly acquired strength into power for my sport, which is BJJ. I'm not fixated on how much I can lift in itself, but on gaining strength and power for athletic application.

stonerider Guest

starting strength coach development program
    the biggest things you need to focus on:

1) breaking the bar from the floor WITH YOUR LEGS, not your back - your back angle should stay relatively the same until the bar passes your knees

2) "jump" from the heels, not the balls of your feet

3) when you grab the bar, turn your elbows out to the sides and keep them in front of you as long as possible - right now they break backward as soon as you initiate the second pull, similar to a reverse curl... it should be more like an upright row

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast