starting strength gym
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Heavier Squat..some form problems again...please comment

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    Your bench is fine. It's not perfect, but it's fine. Carlos, being a competitive powerlifter and all, can surely help you perfect it. But for general strength training purposes it's just fine. And the cues you mention are the ones you keep on drilling, which in itself will make your bench better. This is like your 2nd bench workout, right?

FWIW I often get weird pains on bench. Elbow, wrist, even collarbone sometimes. I think it often has to do with your body getting used to quite a heavy load being put on your joints/bones/tendons. In any case you could warm up your upperbody a bit more/do some (dynamic) stretching etc. to make it bearable. But I wouldn't worry too much, your wrists dont look too bent back to me.
    Yes correct. It was my second one. I added 10lbs because the first time I jst browsed through the book. When my form shitty I reread the section, and memorized the cues. Just by doing that I did 1 set and added 10lbs because I could. I will only add 5lbs from now on,not again.

I think Rip mentions it in the press section too I think. About grabbing the bar with your index finger around it, and then turning your hands inward so your thumb turns "down". I did this for the bench I looked like my wrists/hands were in line.

It's a movement to get used to though. I used to do dumbells.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Yes please that would be great.

So a big breath, feet pressing forward/into the ground, lower back arch, scapula's together, chest up all work together to stabilize the bench? Or does it also have to do with how strong you are and heavy the weight is?
    I used to have a video online but it got deleted, sorry. Next Friday I'll film my intensity day bench, hopefully I don't fail and make a fool out of myself...lol.

But yes, that's pretty much it. I'd also add the gripping the bar very hard. I usually find it much easier to have a good stable bench when the weight is closer to my max, but I don't know if it's because it's heavy or because it's heavy for me, if you understand the difference.

In the meantime:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsBkeikfMRw

No need to pause like that. I was preparing for a competition lift. Just a light touch and go.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    In the meantime:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsBkeikfMRw

No need to pause like that. I was preparing for a competition lift. Just a light touch and go.
    You bench very similar to how I bench, is your butt lifted off the bench at all? I can't tell form that video. Also do you get anything out of the belt on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    ...is your butt lifted off the bench at all?
    No. When your knees are below the bench like that, it's actually difficult to bridge. You can see the leg drive, and it's toward the bar. That bench is actually too tall for me, BTW. I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    Also do you get anything out of the belt on the bench?
    I really don't know. Probably.

@Carlos. Thanks man. Doesn't matter if you fail it's probably 4 times my bench anyway man.

@sking. 225lbs is my goal but I think it might be a while. Do you push your feet into the ground and then forward so that you push your whole body towards that bar?

The leg drive will actually come quite naturally when it gets heavy, but yes, you drive toward the bar. Don't over think it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    The leg drive will actually come quite naturally when it gets heavy, but yes, you drive toward the bar. Don't over think it :-)

I know I know. ha. I've been putting off my university homework and CCNP cert and instead studying SS and shit. haha. My wife is not happy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    I know I know. ha. I've been putting off my university homework and CCNP cert and instead studying SS and shit. haha. My wife is not happy.
    Well what does she want, you're a guy, you're biologically programmed to obsess over things that interest you.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213