starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about squat cue of "knees out."

Default Question about squat cue of "knees out."

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Does "knees out" suggest internal rotation or transverse abduction? I don't know if I'm supposed to rotate my knees out like a "butterfly" stretch, or if I should be pulling the floor apart with my feet.

I push my knees out toward the cage.

Hope that helps.

There are two independent movements that result in the knees traveling out. Internal rotation of the hip and transverse abduction of the hip.

I don't know which of the two I should be attempting.

Quote Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post
    There are two independent movements that result in the knees traveling out. Internal rotation of the hip and transverse abduction of the hip.

I don't know which of the two I should be attempting.
    You mean external rotation of the hip, correct?

The answer is that you should be doing both, but if you're breaking it down to this extent, you're overthinking it. When you forcefully pull your knees apart as you approach the bottom of the squat, both will happen if you actually try to get your knees as far apart as they need to go.

I assumed it was external rotation, but it seems like the motion I'm describing is listed as internal rotation on ExRx.

Regardless, thanks. As ridiculous as it sounds, hip abduction has never happened for me when using the "knees out" cue. I'll have to consciously begin doing that.

Jsutt Guest

I assumed it was external rotation, but it seems like the motion I'm describing is listed as internal rotation on ExRx.

Regardless, thanks. As ridiculous as it sounds, hip abduction has never happened for me when using the "knees out" cue. I'll have to consciously begin doing that.
    Your knees won't force themselves out unconsciously now will they? If you're not getting hip abduction you need to push (or pull) harder.

"Knees out" can be a bit vague. Some people find it more intuitive to think about pulling their knees apart as hard as possible. "Ripping the floor apart with your feet" is more to counteract overpronation of the feet than to get knees out, but since the two problems (knees not out, feet rolling inward) are often paired, it can be helpful.

I actually asked this because I have extremely overpronated feet. When I squat (or even walk), my ankles roll inwards which makes it impossible to track my knees properly. Will "spread the floor" help this?

Does "spread the floor" help you get your knees out and femurs in line with your feet? If it does, then I suppose that's the cue to use.

My personal opinion is you are over-thinking this one.

starting strength coach development program
    Go down into a bodyweight squat with your elbows on the inside of your knees. Now press your knees out as far as you can with your elbows. Remove your elbows but don't let your knees come in.

Voila, fight for this position as hard as you can through the rep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast