starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Press form check after deload @ 127.5lbs

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Good day,

Thanks for all the replies. I took snapshots of my grip WITH thumbs around and WITHOUT. This is what my grip looks like as suggested by a coach. Then following that is my form checks. This time I did different grip widths, that felt a little too narrow but it's just to get an opinion from you guys which one looks best.

Thanks for the patience, I look retarded when I press.

PS: I black out my face because I upload my pics to imgur also.

Attached Images Attached Images

So look at your forearms in the bottom. Elbows are flared out, and behind the bar. You should be actively squeezing them together and pushing them forward in the bottom while keeping the bar close to your face/neck. This will produce a nice tight bottom position and ensure that the bar doesn't fly out away from you.

If a coach was there we would probably just squeeze your elbows into that position but unfortunately I can't do that over the internet hah.

Your forearms should be more like they are in the first picture you attached. But with the bar closer to your face. The grip in the 2nd picture looks good, now you just have to squeeze the shoulders into the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    So look at your forearms in the bottom. Elbows are flared out, and behind the bar. You should be actively squeezing them together and pushing them forward in the bottom while keeping the bar close to your face/neck. This will produce a nice tight bottom position and ensure that the bar doesn't fly out away from you.

If a coach was there we would probably just squeeze your elbows into that position but unfortunately I can't do that over the internet hah.

Your forearms should be more like they are in the first picture you attached. But with the bar closer to your face. The grip in the 2nd picture looks good, now you just have to squeeze the shoulders into the right position.
    Damn it's harder than you think man. The press feels like the most uncomfortable lift of all of them. I'll try again friday and see. It goes south as the reps get higher and I get out of breath.

I need to go to a seminar.

OR just find someone in your area to help ya for a session. Probably be a quick fix.

Today felt good although the videos show otherwise. Its was 115lbs.

Elbows are still flaring out a bit and I'm struggling with the violent hipdrive. Grip felt okay wrists didn't hurt.

A little better with the wrists. Could still get the elbows squeezed forward and together. Keep working at it. If any other coaches want to chime in feel free.

Hi Josiah,

Here are my latest videos man. these felt pretty good. I put my grip slightly closer. I was sick one whole week.

Last edited by grand666; 01-21-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added second video.

Hey grand, just saw this.

Looks like your starting position is a little better. Elbows are under the bar instead of behind, so that's good.

Your wrists are still bent, but if it doesn't hurt then ok. Keep working on that though.

On some reps it looks like you don't push through, you kind of stay leaned back. Just make sure you're pushing through as soon as the bar clears your head. You'll feel this in your abs. You should finish standing tall with the bar over your shoulders.

It's good enough to add some weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    Hey grand, just saw this.

Looks like your starting position is a little better. Elbows are under the bar instead of behind, so that's good.

Your wrists are still bent, but if it doesn't hurt then ok. Keep working on that though.

On some reps it looks like you don't push through, you kind of stay leaned back. Just make sure you're pushing through as soon as the bar clears your head. You'll feel this in your abs. You should finish standing tall with the bar over your shoulders.

It's good enough to add some weight!
    Hey man thanks for checking in.

With my grip issues man I can't get my wrists straight AND elbows underneath. It's either or in my case. This workout felt good though, no pain on the wrists.

The push through makes sense man. Last year in 2012 I pressed and did something, overextending I think, and I felt a pinch in my mid back. Ever since if I don't pay enough attnetion the pinch comes back. Don't know if it is a spine thing but it goes away on non-press days. So now I'm probably scared to go all the way forward because I'm scared I'll arch my back and overextend, then pinch it again.

I will try again tomorrow man. I'll upload videos again. Thank you again dude I really appreciate all your comments.

starting strength coach development program
    I am not, I repeat...NOT a coach, but part of your issue may be the length of your forearms. I believe the idea is to get your forearms vertical at the start of the press by keeping your elbows forward. I think it would be much easier for you if you simply took a slightly wider grip on the bar. By doing so you would also be able to rest the bar on the front deltoids when re-setting between each rep.

I am probably full of shit, however.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast