starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    It depends from person to person.

MisterT Guest

After a couple of weeks of stretching of my glutes and hamstrings...

I tried to get into deadlift position and I noticed that my groin muscles hurt. (I mean I've always noticed that but I thought what do these have to do with anything)

Upon further investigation...

I think it has never been my glutes or hamstrings...

My groin was preventing me from setting my back, I deadlift with knees out a little because it's impossible for me to deadlift without knees out.

The real shocker for me is that I could do the side splits no problem before my back got fucked up (4 months or so ago).

But because I trained specifically for the splits I left out the rest of the groin, the upper part right between the base of my schlong (pubes) and my thigh. (Sorry for my descriptiveness, if there are any ladies present please shield thine eyes, it is all in the name of science)

Do I finally have the problem covered or am I still going to have to fumble around?

I used to love deadlifts now I hate the motherfuckers.

Well, if you can get into position and deadlift, the problem is covered. If you can't, it isn't. You can always try different amounts of turnout and see if that helps with the groin.

MisterT Guest

This little lifter is bummed out.

No matter how hard he tries nothing seems to fix his posture.

But he keeps a copy of this on his phone:

Mayhap but unlikely he would reach that level.

I leave you on a sombre note:

Bummer.

Why be bummed out? You'r form is looking better. Also, remember, everyone once could only lift 135 pounds.

MisterT Guest

Any ideas bros?

This is 100kg pretty easy for me. But I still can't get into position properly, I'm stretching glutes/hams like day and night here.

You're jerking the bar too much. Make the pull smoother - which a lot of people describe as squeezing the bar up. Have you ever driven in ice or snow (or other slippery road conditions)? It's the same principle, you want to apply the gas judiciously until you get going with traction.

MisterT Guest

I thought I was supposed to pull as fast as possible for explosive power and shit.

Yes, that's the ultimate goal, but you're exchanging control for power and shit. It might be better to think about acceleration as opposed to just "fast".

starting strength coach development program
    Your back is looking better. Keep that in mind for a while and don't worry about being explosive. You are doing some kind of weird shrugging thing at the top. Keep your back straight. Stand up. Keep it simple.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast