starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Any, and all help is appreciated. I felt the bar was positioned a little too high to begin with. I'm squatting 105# in the video. My short-term goal is to squat my body weight (~145#). Still working on setting a program for myself.

http://youtu.be/D6nGGADmGKk

The bar is high for the SS model, but these look pretty good to me. If you're comfortable lowering the bar, you'll be able to incorporate more hip drive due to the necessity to bend over a little further, which would hopefully push you to your goal before you know it. If you're following SS, you should be at that goal within 2-3 weeks.

stay tighter. experiment with a belt.

keep at it, nice start

also, what do you mean by "setting a program" for yourself. why not linear progression?

I am curious as to why you are doing a bit of a "forward hip thrust" before each set? I've not seen it before. Just wondering.

On the belt suggestion from Tiburon, I think it's too early, barring any back injuries/problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    also, what do you mean by "setting a program" for yourself. why not linear progression?
    Correction: *Sticking to linear progression*. I've dealt with injuries along the way that have detoured my progress, among other things. As for the belt, I think maybe once I reach squatting my body weight then it would be something I would consider. Keeping my abs tight should help. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    I am curious as to why you are doing a bit of a "forward hip thrust" before each set? I've not seen it before. Just wondering.

On the belt suggestion from Tiburon, I think it's too early, barring any back injuries/problems.
    I noticed that too. I do it when I press as well. I'll try and see if I can do away with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you doing high bar on purpose? If so that's fine - I think you'll get more out of low bar, but I'm not going to lecture you about it - but if you're aiming for low bar, these are not it.

And yes, stop the hip thing. It's the damned funniest thing I've ever seen, but you don't want to be moving around so much when the weight gets heavier. You lower yourself on the descent - you don't just *drop* into the hole.