starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone,
    I haven't posted in these forums since talking with Dr. Sullivan about my heart. I REALLY haven't progressed at all in the last few months and I decided to ask about my form.

I recorded myself for the first time in months and my form definitely looks off. I'm going to list what I think is wrong with my lift to see if my analysis matches up with the coaches here. Please let me know if I should be focusing on something else or if something I say doesn't make sense...

My critique:
    My back is obviously rounding; I'll try dialing back to 225 work set. Is this enough? I'm not sure what else I could do about this...
    It looks like I'm lowering my hips during the setup. I think this is happening when I take a breath to tighten my core. Does this sound right?
    Although it didn't feel like it during the lift, my knees seem to be getting in the way of the bar. I need to fully extend my knees before my back angle changes.
    My back is also rounding on the way down. Although I didn't notice, I might be breathing out at lock out causing the rounding. I'll need to consciously keep track of my breathing during the lifts.

Anything else?

Warm up set 3 (3x225): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFY0f...ature=youtu.be
    Warm up set 4 (2x235): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45jIH...ature=youtu.be
    Work Set (5x245): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcqAH...ature=youtu.be

Thank you for the help.

You seem to be trying to do the setup, but you're not finishing the setup by properly setting your back.

After you have grabbed the bar, moved your shins forward, FREEZE YOUR HIPS. A few of the reps you lowered them SLIGHTLY, but nothing drastic. But what you don't do at this point is set your back. This is accomplished by squeezing your chest up WITHOUT LOWERING YOUR HIPS, putting your back into extension. Imagine trying to show your tits to the mirror in front of you. With your back in extension, stand up by pushing your feet into the ground.

Last thing, do a set of 5, and not 5 singles.

There's another - related - issue: you're lifting with bent arms (well your right one at least; can't see left). You start with it bent and you keep it bent. This 1) makes it harder to raise your chest; 2) is inefficient; and 3) will fuck your elbows at a heavier weight. All your arms are there for is to hold onto the bar. Your legs and hips do the lifting; your back is rigid to teansfer the force between your legs to your arms and then down to the bar.

Also 245 might be light for a mixed grip. Using DOH will also help you cue your arm position.

Thank you, Mac. I appreciate the help. I wasn't watching for my back being set at all.

I'll prioritize setting my back next time I do deadlifts. By the way, I'm doing 5 singles right now because of the type of plates at my gym. These can settle too far forward or into my shins sometimes. I figured doing 5 singles would be better than doing 1 set with the bar in the wrong place...However, these recordings show I'm able to keep the bar in place throughout the movements. I'll try to do 1 set on next deadlift day.

Also, I'm going to try recording my squats tonight (I want to slowly do form checks on all lifts); would you recommend I create a new thread or can I post it here?

Start a new thread. Whoever catches the thread first will answer it. That way if I get blown up walking to work you won't have to wait, and we wouldn't want that.

I like where the priorities are on this board. Thanks.

I did deadlifts again last night and it looks like I'm still not setting my back properly. Is my back maybe too horizontal? I think there were a few reps where I was still lowering my hips...There was also considerable rounding of the back especially on the last rep...Could you take a look to see if there is at least some progress?

Warm up set 3 (3x185): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRSffkBR3bs
    Warm up set 4 (2x205): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz7tZRGf2x8
    Work Set (5x225): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkH4QK5fQag

Milo, I didn't notice your comment earlier but I now notice my arms. I plan on not doing power cleans until my deadlift form is stable so I'll check my arms when I deadlift tomorrow. As far as DOH is concerned, it's just that my grip sucks...I even had to use mixed grip yesterday at 225. I'll try some chalk at this weight to see if I can keep DOH for a little longer.

Do you guys have any cues I could use to help me set my back? Right now, I think I'm just stressing my neck and not really extending my back.

Your shins are too vertical. You are too close to the bar. Review the set up in the sticky at the top of this forum. Recommend truly studying the DL chapter in the book.

I've read the sticky but you're right; I've only really read the Squat chapter in the book. I'll go through it this weekend. In the meanwhile, I'll keep trying.

Thanks for all your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Don't actually tell anyone this, but I am not the world's biggest fan of TUBOW. This is primarily because it is difficult to use it yourself without a heavyish block of wood. The feedback you get from touching your knee to a foam roller, or other easily displaced object, is much to light to actually be of great use. Still, if you can find a way to make it work, it would be appropriate in your case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast