starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confused about squat depth

Default confused about squat depth

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, could one of the experienced trainers help clarify my squat depth:

Looking at Starting Strength ed 3, the 3 photos of a man squatting on the first page of chapter 2: The Squat

The photos are highlighted with arrows and the required squat depth is that the apex
    in the crease of the shorts should be below the top of the patella.

The apex of the crease is halfway between the front of the hips and the back of the gluts.

Comparing the above with the attached stills from a few of my squat sessions (140kg and 155kg weights), could you confirm whether in each case i'm above/at/below required depth ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sqtdedbenpres; 07-28-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Edit: I can't see the apex in any of the pictures so I can't say for sure. Your legs are big enough that all but the first one could be "at depth"
    Last edited by Haggit; 07-28-2013 at 06:39 AM.

The plate is in the way, but the last one seems to be proper depth for sure. First one definitely high, middle two can't tell.

ok thanks.
    A few more stills from today, with chalk on shorts to highlight hip crease.290713-02.jpg290713-01.jpg
    These aren't great stills but using apex of hip crease beneath patella seems a bit misleading because the apex of the crease in your shorts/tracksuit might differ depending on how tight they are when you reach bottom position in the squat.

Maybe i'm over thinking this but i don't see any examples of people squatting any deeper than necessary when they get beyond the very beginning.
    Is there any advantage going deeper than the required depth?
    Last edited by sqtdedbenpres; 07-29-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Those squats are good depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by sqtdedbenpres View Post
    ok thanks.
    Is there any advantage going deeper than the required depth?
    May potentially build more strength perhaps, and may prevent asshole judges from redlighting your squats in PL.

Quote Originally Posted by sqtdedbenpres View Post
    A few more stills from today, with chalk on shorts to highlight hip crease
    That helps a lot. In general, black isn't the greatest color if you're looking for this sort of critique.

Yep. Good depth.

Thanks for all replies.
    I'd definitely recommend video to assess your own squats.
    I would have sworn that I was reaching depth before recently resetting my weight and checking these.

Another question, the 'push legs out during descent' instruction.
    Has anybody widened the position of their knees and definitely feel they have benefited either because of a greater stretch reflex and/or eventual greater strength development ?
    (I'm a bit worried about pulling a hamstring)

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Like you though, I've noticed that the strongest guys, even in training, use competition form(unless they are performing a specific variation, like HB ATG squats or something). So I've been working on just hitting the correct depth, and it honestly feels high as a kite to me still after a few weeks. I worry that I'm not hitting actual depth pretty much every rep. But it's something I need to get comfortable with, because I want to move as much weight as I can.
    I don't try to just hit depth. I go about as far as I can without loosening anything. I can squat a bit heavier going just barely to depth, and it's good practice if you're going to compete, but otherwise I prefer the greater ROM.

starting strength coach development program
    hsilman

"Do you mean widening your feet or rotating your feet out more?"

Good point, I meant both.

"I feel better positioned and keeping my knees out helps engage all the musculature better."

I will try this going forward.

"So I've been working on just hitting the correct depth, and it honestly feels high as a kite to me still after a few weeks"

The squats I posted initially now feel high.
    My depth is inconsistent, hence my videoing all sets.
    Its difficult to translate how the correct depth feels unloaded to how it feels with a heavy loaded bar.
    I don't use the mirror , but can't squat facing away from it because of the design of the rack/position of the bar supports.

PEBCAK:

"I can squat a bit heavier going just barely to depth, and it's good practice if you're going to compete, but otherwise I prefer the greater ROM."

Have you noticed any positive benefit of squatting below required depth on your dead lift progression ?
    I ask because it seems to me that be being able to get out of the lower, disadvantaged bottom position of the squat should make you stronger for the higher start position of the dead lift ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast