starting strength gym

Thread: Question about concentric (?) part of the squat - about the knees

Default Question about concentric (?) part of the squat - about the knees

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey gang, first post etc.

On my way up in the squat I recently (as I've been increasing my load bit by bit) it seems that by doing what FEELS like squeezing my knees inward a little it seems to help get me back upright.

Is this normal, wrong etc?

Thx gang, have looked thru the tech based threads but don't recall a reference to this oddness!

Respect.

$

Well, if it FEELS like squeezing your knees inward, it very likely IS squeezing your knees inward.

It's normal, in that many people have the tendency for the knees to come in on a heavy squat. You have to consciously overcome that tendency, and shove your knees back out. So yes, it's normal, and yes, it's wrong.

This is probably happening because it transfers the weight to your quads, which are currently stronger than your lesser-developed hips (esp. the hip adductors). But doing it easier isn't necessarily doing it better, or correctly.

A video would confirm, but those knees need to stay out on both the descent and the ascent.

It's probably not in the "tech based threads" because it is discussed at some length in the book itself. Have you read it?

Dan Green recommends it in a Juggernaut article http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBnMjeMYY40

starting strength coach development program
    Post a video IMO.