starting strength gym

Thread: Bench form check

Default Bench form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Would have posted this with my squat/deadlift thread, only youtube was being uncooperative. This is set 3 benching at 170 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjz8lkh700

I realized when I started taking videos of myself that my bench grip was too wide - I was grasping the bar with pinkies at the markers, meaning my forearms were wide of vertical. This is my first attempt at correcting that, and I may have over-corrected slightly in this attempt - either way, something is clearly off, as I'm very wobbly in this video. Any pointers on how to keep things tighter when lifting heavier would be much appreciated.

Also, apologies for the close angle - I'll try to make a better video the next time.

Thanks!

It's not letting me view the video.

Fixed settings, should be visible now.

This is set 3 @175lbs. Not quite as wobbly as last time, but I still hit the safety bar. If anyone has any feedback on whether there is something I should be doing to stabilize my bench more, or whether I am doing something wrong or should deload a bit, I'd be very grateful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zFmpLgXRgk

Again, apologies for the poor video angle (this time I unfortunately cut off the bar at the top). There is really not much space to zoom back farther, though I'll keep trying to make it better.
    Last edited by drk; 10-13-2013 at 08:25 PM.

You are a little weak out of the bottom. When you are there your elbows flare outward which kills some of your tricep drive out of the bottom position. You hand positioning looked good for your structure, you probably could go out a little further since you have pretty long forearms. This will help put you in a little more stable position where you aren't flaring your elbows.

I can see what you're talking about. I'll work on keeping my elbows tighter in at the bottom and see how things go next workout. Thanks for the tip!

starting strength coach development program
    Your neck mate. Do not move it. Keep it in the same position and make sure to look at a spot in the ceiling. Try keeping your shoulders back "jammed" against the bench