starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first deadlift rep is always SLOW! Why?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    The problem of your first rep being slower than the rest could be due to inadequate warmup or simply not being aggressive enough. I like to pull my warmups as fast as possible to prepare for the work sets.
    I thought that might have been the cause as I noticed that with squats a long time ago. Actually that problem was I wasn't using enough rest time between my last warmup and the first workset. Now with 5/3/1 style, there are plenty of "warm up" sets before the top set, and once I get to 185 I try and treat them like speed deadlifts. That usually works until 275-300 or so and then they tend not to feel very snappy off the floor. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see how the belt works next week for the heavy set.

osv2,
    OK. I'll go back to my original start position, but with more attention to chest up and arched lower back. This week was lighter than last week and that's probably the reason my upper back was more well behaved.

I'll post back again next week, as that will be heavy for me, and might highlight some technique flaws that I can hide at the lower poundage. If that footage looks decent then I'll stop bothering you guys.

OK, here is this weeks effort. This was pretty much a 5RM effort at 375 pounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8148ULmu8KQ.

I didn't do much overthinking for this set. My thoughts were get tight, chest up, go! I think the form is decent, with some areas for improvement, but no immediate cause for concern. Shoulder position over the bar seemed better, though the bar path does still seem to move in a 'C' type movement. Upper and lower back seem stable over the course of the movement, though it seems each could be extended a little further before starting the pull.

This was followed by 3 "Boring but big" sets of sumo deadlifts at 185 for 10. I've only done sumo deadlifts twice, so I wouldn't mind a critique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqLfo6YX-U
    It seemed like with these, I can get my lumbar more into extension before the pull starts. Is that because of the wider stance? I did check my conventional stance and there is 4" between the heels of my shoes (or 6" between the center of my heels) with the toes pointed out at about 15 degree angle each. Should I try a slightly wider stance for conventional pulling?

And one last question. Based on what you've seen with my conventional pull, what would be the best supplemental accessory exercise? I picked sumo because I feel weak in that position compared to conventional and also wanted to target my quads for some additional work. Indeed after these sets of 10, even though they were light, I could really feel it in my quads and abs. But I could make arguments for doing Romanian deadlifts or deficit deadlifts instead.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    And one last question. Based on what you've seen with my conventional pull, what would be the best supplemental accessory exercise? I picked sumo because I feel weak in that position compared to conventional and also wanted to target my quads for some additional work. Indeed after these sets of 10, even though they were light, I could really feel it in my quads and abs. But I could make arguments for doing Romanian deadlifts or deficit deadlifts instead.
    I'd suggest RDLs with strict form, to improve spine control. Definitely no deficit DLs until you can do regular DLs with straight spine.

OK. I'll see how light RDL's after my heavy back squat and light front squat day works in the big scheme of things. I've never done RDL's so I'll most likely shoot some video to make sure these are being done correctly.

I came across this article in a different thread. http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/...p?contentID=48

I think the article addresses my situation very nicely and I will experiment with incorporating singles every minute on the minute type of training. My first thought is that I'll do my 5's week the normal way and for the 5/3/1 week I'll do the top set as singles. That'll probably screw up my estimated 1RM numbers, but if it'll help me pull 500 then it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I came across this article in a different thread. http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/...p?contentID=48

I think the article addresses my situation very nicely and I will experiment with incorporating singles every minute on the minute type of training. My first thought is that I'll do my 5's week the normal way and for the 5/3/1 week I'll do the top set as singles. That'll probably screw up my estimated 1RM numbers, but if it'll help me pull 500 then it's worth it.
    Yes! Cavemen, you beautiful bastard! You actually read the article!

No video footage for this update. I widened my stance about 2". So now there is about 6" between my shoes at the heel and from my vantage point the very outside of my shoe is just inside where the knurling starts on my bar. I'll be keeping this stance moving forward. It felt good and everything about the lift felt more natural/easier. Next week, I pull singles at 385 every minute with a belt and a wider stance. Progress!

I tried the every minute on the minute style of pulling for my top set today. Now all my reps are slow, haha! Well, to be more accurate, the first rep is slow, and the following reps were each slightly slower than the previous rep.

How many singles did you pull and at what weight? What was your previous 5RM?

If you focus on tight form and an explosive pull with each single your speed should improve with time.

starting strength coach development program
    Today was 5/3/1 day. So I pulled 305 for 5 normal SS style, then 345 for 3 normal, and then 385 for 5 singles. As for a 5RM, well 2 weeks ago I pulled 375 for 5 using the normal SS tempo, so I'll consider that my current 5RM. I have pulled 405 for 5 in September, but both my upper and lower regions of my back weren't nearly as extended as they should have been, which while it did allow me to lift more weight, I consider myself fortunate that I did not injure myself.

Also because breaking the bar off the floor was difficult for each single, I switched the assistance work over from sumo deadlifts to 2.25" deficit deadlifts. Just 135 for 3 sets of 10 this go around because I have never done them before. I'll continue to add weight until it "feels" like the right amount of extra volume/work. These felt fine, as light deadlifts usually do.

Make no mistake, even though this was very hard and quite honestly it sucked, I believe it is definitely addressing a current weakness of mine and so pulling singles on the minute will be sticking around my program for a while. I don't want to be the guy that can pull 475 for a triple, but can't make 500 move at all. Which was the path I was heading down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12