starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squats formcheck and main concern with deformity in my feet and knees suffering

Exclamation squats formcheck and main concern with deformity in my feet and knees suffering

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello mates, i have a deformity in my feet, they are angled and both of them points outside, looking like a duck. I spoke with the physician, and he told me that someday i will start having problems, and he didn't know if doing squats could be a problem, but he actually said that this could be beneficial for the development of the muscles and could minimize the problem.

here is a picture : http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=0f8cb8d

On the last months i haven't got problems with my knees, but recently a pain (kind of soreness) comes when i start doing the exercise. I want to know if the deformity could be one of the causes, or is just because i execute a bad form.

Now, this is me doing squats with 176lbs . im 165lbs 6 1' .

I know my back posture is not how it should be , but this was just a video i took when i was exhausted and with my knees burning, i usually proceed with a straight back.

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc9fqpbJMBs

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

I suggest you get proper equipment (or join a gym, but you still want a belt and weightlifting shoes) and try to squat according to the model outlined in the book Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition. This means low bar squats, looking down, engaging the posterior chain musculature to a much greater extent.

You also look to be overextending your back. So learn not to do that.

I don't know if the fact that your knees hurt have to do with your condition (do you have a precise diagnosis? I'm not seeing it in the photo), but the low bar squat is much, much less stressful on the connective tissues of that joint than the high bar squats you're doing at present.

Hello, i already have a belt, but i though that the belt should be used for higher weights, i will start using it then. The nearest gym is far away from my home, at the moment i don't have enough money for a proper rack ( but i will buy it eventually ) .

I do have a precise diagnosis, but its in spanish and i find it difficult to translate it. you can search in google images for : pies abductos . to have some examples

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I suggest you get proper equipment (or join a gym, but you still want a belt and weightlifting shoes) and try to squat according to the model outlined in the book Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition. This means low bar squats, looking down, engaging the posterior chain musculature to a much greater extent.

You also look to be overextending your back. So learn not to do that.

I don't know if the fact that your knees hurt have to do with your condition (do you have a precise diagnosis? I'm not seeing it in the photo), but the low bar squat is much, much less stressful on the connective tissues of that joint than the high bar squats you're doing at present.

no, its a bit hard to find since it may be misunderstood it with other conditions, but look in google images for a few images such as :

http://www.10puntos.com/wp-content/u...ie-Abducto.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by haorex View Post
    no, its a bit hard to find since it may be misunderstood it with other conditions, but look in google images for a few images such as :

http://www.10puntos.com/wp-content/u...ie-Abducto.jpg
    That's not particularly helpful.

That's not particularly helpful.
    im trying to find sources in english but it seems hard to find even in spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by haorex View Post
    pies abductos
    I believe this translates to duck-footed.

I have this. The treatment was to wear calipers (fuck that) or just try and bring my feet in. That's what I've been conciously doing for the last 30 years and other than wearing the heels of my shoes to a wedge I've had no issues and can squat 2.5 x bodyweight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ravl View Post
    I believe this translates to duck-footed.
    Is that a diagnosis of an actual condition? Are the toes not naturally lined up with the knees? Where's the actual deformity, at the hip, femur, knee, shin, or ankle? Why should it stop someone from squatting, if they can do everything else in life (like walk around) even if they need to adjust the angle of their feet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast