starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey all,

Weight has been getting heavy and I work out alone, would appreciate a form check to make sure I'm on the right path! I feel like I'm craning my neck a bit here which I'm trying to stop doing, and I felt a little round. I also feel my pace may be too slow, I'm not sure. (Time between reps too long) Let me know what you guys think.

http://youtu.be/O_g7M-OZBmQ

Didn't see anywhere to make a sig, but in case it matters, I'm 5'3", 130lb.
    Last edited by BigWidowsPeak; 02-20-2015 at 02:04 AM.

I agree with mgilchrest but would add that your hips are a bit low.

If that's a bad set, I am completely screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I don't think the pacing is bad. I mean you're pulling >2x your BW for a set of 5. You know about the neck, but you're not a terrible offender there. It would be helpful to see the approach and setup to give more feedback, along with more light. The bar path is pretty vertical, although I'm not certain your pulling it up your shins (lack of light/angle). The weight looks well controlled. Overall, to me, it looks like a good set.
    Thanks for taking time to watch everyone. Mgilchrest I'm set to deadlift again tonight or tomorrow, I'll get some more light and get a bit closer. Thanks for the input! Pretty sure I'm riding up my shins there. I'll also leave my bar approach in the video next time.

@carson Definitely a bad habit, that was one of the first things I started to correct since starting SS, my hips used to be super low. Long time bad habit I'm still trying to erase.

@Smyth Haha thanks for the encouragement!

Hey all,

This is a clip from deadlifting today. Sadly, didn't go as well as I'd hoped, and I didn't get my last rep. Still, I'd like you guys to take a look, I really struggled on this set. My garage has a lot of stuff I can't really move, so this is the best angle I could get, but the lighting is better since it's actually daytime. You just can't see above my elbows when I'm at the top of the movement.

http://youtu.be/EsBjo4WR9y0

I think your mind got in the way of that last rep, you should hit it next time. Also, perhaps your "careful" lowering of the weight is zapping you of some much needed energy. I'm not saying to drop the weight from your waist, just lower it a little quicker to the ground.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
    I think your mind got in the way of that last rep, you should hit it next time. Also, perhaps your "careful" lowering of the weight is zapping you of some much needed energy. I'm not saying to drop the weight from your waist, just lower it a little quicker to the ground.

Thanks for watching K.O. and mgilchrest. (Don't know how to add another quote in to my reply, but this is in response to both of you) I'll definitely try to lower the weight with a bit more speed without sacrificing control. Watching the video is weird to me because it felt like I was dropping it way faster than usual. My mind did probably mess me up that last rep too, but I'll get her next time. I'm going to review my pre-deadlift set up because I wasn't thinking about my lats, which I'm sure cost me in the long run.

Mgilchrest thanks for the props, I'm hoping to have a 400# pull someday. I just signed up here so I'm not very familiar with anyone, I'll look up Adam's tonight after work though! Is he also a small guy?