starting strength gym

Thread: Haven't had my DL checked in a bit...

Default Haven't had my DL checked in a bit...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    These are from the other day @255. I feel the "chest squeeze" when I'm doing the lift, but I'm not sure I'm getting my chest up enough based on the vid. Lift starts at 20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do2O...M&spfreload=10

You're setting up too far from the bar. Fix that and let's see which of the downstream errors correct themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You're setting up too far from the bar. Fix that and let's see which of the downstream errors correct themselves.
    How much closer do I want to be? When I went to see Dave he said a good barometer was having the bar over the velcro tabs on my shoes. I thought I was doing that, but maybe that still has me a bit too far back.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    How much closer do I want to be? When I went to see Dave he said a good barometer was having the bar over the velcro tabs on my shoes. I thought I was doing that, but maybe that still has me a bit too far back.
    Velcro tabs is a good indicator. You're setting up with the bar at least an inch or two forward of that point. Might just be that you're not adjusting properly for your perspective. Try setting up with the bar centered over the top edge of the velcro tab and see where that actually puts you. Your shin should be almost exactly 1" from the bar. This is definitely not the case here.

See where the bar is when you put it down? And how high your hips are? And how vertical your tibias? That's the start position we're trying to achieve. You're putting it down in a more vertical line than you're picking it up in.

Yes you are too far away. For some reason the bar must be what seems to me to be 3/4 - 1" above or nearer me than the top of the velcro tabs. It makes all the difference. You might wish to wear shorts and long stockings to enable you view. I feel sorry for anyone who must use those hex plates. Don't give up.