starting strength gym

Thread: Guaging Squat Depth

Default Guaging Squat Depth

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In a recent form check, I got feedback that my squats were slightly high. this has been a constant challenge for me, so looking for some feedback here. I think my references are off. I've been trying to gauge crease of the hips being lower than top of the knee. Note: My videos do look high, this pictures are too close for me to tell. I'm providing both below. Either way, I'm taking a slight 25lb reset to focus on going deeper so it is no longer in question. On a plus side my head down position & back angle are improving at least...

Here's the original form check: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ck-checks.html

Let me know what you guys/girls think.

Legit or not?
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

this one I think was below. thoughts?

This one I agree is slightly high.
    Last edited by Randy Scheingold; 05-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Note - I couldn't figure out how to embed pictures...I tried and it didn't work (using the same imgur link). Any thoughts on how to make this work for next time? thx

I chalked a line so that I always stand in the same place when squatting. Then I put a marker on the wall to see when the shadow crosses to ensure correct depth.

It is soooo hard to tell from that angle. Unless you are an SSC . I always video from the side and use the safeties as a reference. I think they are all a bit high but see sentence 1...

Squat inside rack facing mirror.
    First mark the rear upright with a marker. The spot you mark will be made by a buddy while your in the bottom of the squat at below parallel. Now when you squat look in the mirror to make sure the bar passes this mark.
    Once you develop muscle memory you squat as usual.
    From time to time I do this just to make sure I'm getting deep enough
    Last edited by lou t; 05-08-2016 at 05:50 PM.

thanks everybody. No one disputed my depth....so....I guess I need to suck it up and realize I've been slightly high. Since I don't think I have the adductor strength needed at my current workset weights , I'm going to take a significant deload. this will also help me work on my back angle & head down (per Rip's recent back angle video). Given the reset, I'm going to go back on an LP (Adv, Novice) to try and build back quickly.

I'll hit 225x5x3 on Tuesday and then do 10lb jumps back up for a few weeks (if depth is good), squatting twice a week. this should get me back in fighting shape in 3 weeks if all goes well.

thx everyone

Ok, here is a new set. I took a significant deload back to 225. If my depth looks good I plan to LP it back up (twice a week, starting at 10lbs & then tapering to 5lbs when needed).

Disclaimer: I did post this for Tom up top. Not looking to waste anyone's time, but I know many of you guys use this to hone your coaching skills (I do as well, just in my head until I feel more confident). So, since I am impatient, I'm writing off my double request for info as a way to give all of you a chance to critique me and then read Tom's critique (when posted) and see how you did Or course, I'd be more than open to Brodie or Adam weighing in as well!

I would pass all 5 reps. Nice squatting

without a singlet it is too hard to tell. my best would be these are borderline but I would lean toward a touch high

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    without a singlet it is too hard to tell. my best would be these are borderline but I would lean toward a touch high
    I suggested down a post or 2 what I used to help. Another thought would be to do some pin squats. Set the pins at a height so you know when the bar touches the pins your depth is there.