starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat update check/DL check with video

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Royce, read the sticky at the top of the Technique section on how to film videos for form checks. Camera angle is a big factor in allowing us to see certain things and give good advice.

For the Deadlift you really need to work on getting your low back into extension. Squeeze your chest up and focus on arching your low back at the same time. This article and video should help:

The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Learn About Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe
    Lower Back Position Control with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

The squats are improved, but like I said we need a better camera angle to see more. What I can see from this video is that you need to get much tighter. You must fight to keep the spine held in rigid extension throughout the rep and this is done by getting a great big breath and holding it. I should be able to hear you breathe at the top.

I'll work on my camera skills so you guys can see it better. Thanks for the article and video, they help a lot! For the deadlift, this may be a wrong cue, but the image I have in my head of squeezing my chest up and putting my low back in extension is like 'bending a bow'.
    I'll practice everything y'all have mentioned and will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    I'll work on my camera skills so you guys can see it better. Thanks for the article and video, they help a lot! For the deadlift, this may be a wrong cue, but the image I have in my head of squeezing my chest up and putting my low back in extension is like 'bending a bow'.
    I'll practice everything y'all have mentioned and will keep you updated.
    The cue that helped me was to keep my shoulders and hips in the same spot and rotate my chest through (between) my arms so the nipples are pointing forward. The chest doesn't actually rotate this far but that's the mental image that helped me get into the correct extension. I also think "push down on the bar" to keep my arms straight during the squeeze.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey guys, no video today. Form during workout yesterday felt much better but the workout itself was garbage. Could not do 3x5 for anything. My nutrition has felt fine (still gaining weight)Sleep good. Recovery 6-8min for squats. Just bad day? I thought it strange. Is this what it feels like to near the end of linear progression? I think it's a little early for that? Only two months. Maybe it is because of form flaws? I have practical programming and I think doing a back off or implementing a light day would help. I feel this way for squats. I think I can still linear progress with the other lifts, although the OHP is slowing. Deadlift needs serious technique work so it is hard for me to say on that. I guess this long winded post is going to come down to what did you guys feel when you felt you needed to change programming? And when? Maybe this is just more mental than anything? as always thanks for any tips! And will send video next time of squats and deadlift

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12