starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Struggling with OHP

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yeah, you're not using your hips correctly. Get your air, get tight, contract your rectus abs (6-pack muscles) and quads, then reach forward with the hips, rather than overextend the spine. You need to create (and wait for) the rebound off the hip extension to press. What's up with the gloves? Do you have some kind of hand injury?
    All of this. Also, judging from the video, he's doing a horizontal press.

The glove thing is really....weird.

The olympic press uses more weight/muscle mass after being trained despite the pause at the bottom due to the hip movement allowing heavier loads. I also find it's more consistent because the reps start from the same place instead of one dead stop rep and then the rest getting a stretch reflex, and people are less likely to press around their face.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Tommy Shuggs said so. (Really. There is a video with him detailing the Olympic press technique.)
    Unless you've seen a different video than I have, Mr. Suggs teaches the full Olympic press, which has the extra power move (a quick layback) at the end of it before getting the weight all the way up. In the press 2.0, you just shove yourself under the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    If I'm remembering the timeline correctly, Tommy Suggs (apologies for the prior misspelling) did that 3 part video effort detailing the Olympic approach to pressing and then after that, the technique was refined to the "Press 2.0" which was published in the next version of SSBBT. So while I'm not saying these techniques are analogous, I'm merely stating that Mr. Suggs' video/collaboration with Rip was the (more than likely) impetus of the change.
    Did not know that. And I think everyone knew who you meant. Seriously, who would be such a dick to make an issue of ... oh, wait. We're on the internet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123