starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check 90kg (198lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Same comments still apply. And the water bottle is too close to you. 3-5 feet in front (but you need to actually keep your gaze fixed on it for it to be a helpful reference point). Don't let that guy video your sets anymore. put the camera on a bench so it's not moving around.
    I feel like I made progress. I felt really puffed out this workout though.

Any comments on this one?

If you want to see my set 2, I feel like I did better in that one:
    Set 2: 102.5kg set 2/3 - YouTube
    Last edited by Clifford; 07-24-2016 at 05:57 AM.

Are you wearing khaki shorts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post
    Are you wearing khaki shorts?
    They're Adidas shorts haha.
    EDIT: oh realised you're talking about my initial vid, nah they were some random stretchy beach shorts from H&M

BTW, any feedback is appreciated! my workout is tomorrow !

Better, you've made some progress. I dont think you are setting your back hard enough in extension. Your knees are sliding forward at the bottom, not necessarily too far forward, but there is forward movement. Try to get the knees to the correct position sooner, set them there, and finish the descent with the hips reaching back and down. Also, try not to pause at the bottom, hit your depth and bounce back up. Finally, I'm pointing out a lot of things. Just focus on one at a time or you'll overthink things. Setting the knees and finishing the descent with the hips comes first; then setting your back hard in extension. Keep plugging away.

Better, you've made some progress. I dont think you are setting your back hard enough in extension. Your knees are sliding forward at the bottom, not necessarily too far forward, but there is forward movement. Try to get the knees to the correct position sooner, set them there, and finish the descent with the hips reaching back and down. Also, try not to pause at the bottom, hit your depth and bounce back up. Finally, I'm pointing out a lot of things. Just focus on one at a time or you'll overthink things. Setting the knees and finishing the descent with the hips comes first; then setting your back hard in extension. Keep plugging away.
    I feel like I fixed the bounce, and tried to set my knees sooner. Is this better than last vid?
    I accidentally did 6 reps on my final set because I can't count haha.

Looks better. Cant see the depth because the rack is blocking the view of your hip crease, but my guess is these are just a bit deep, which 1) will interfere with getting a good stretch reflex (the bounce), and 2) I think are causing your low back to go into flexion. Before your next squats, do the superman exercise to get a good feel for your lumbar erectors, then set them hard before each descent; also shove your knees out hard every rep, they are doing some wobbling which will leak some strength. So, next time it's knees out hard and low back remains in extension.

Slow down the descent. You're not dive-bombing, but you're close. Dropping into the bottom as opposed to controlling your descent will invariably be caused by losing tightness. It should feel slower than it should.

Looks better. Cant see the depth because the rack is blocking the view of your hip crease, but my guess is these are just a bit deep, which 1) will interfere with getting a good stretch reflex (the bounce), and 2) I think are causing your low back to go into flexion. Before your next squats, do the superman exercise to get a good feel for your lumbar erectors, then set them hard before each descent; also shove your knees out hard every rep, they are doing some wobbling which will leak some strength. So, next time it's knees out hard and low back remains in extension.
    By extension, you mean straight right? (and by set, do you mean like tense it?)

I also followed Satch's advice of controlling my descent.

This is my today's workout, what are your thoughts?

Reps 2, 4, and 5 look like you almost hit depth, ever so briefly pause, and then squeeze down below parallel. That last fight to the bottom could come with the loss of tightness overall. You may not be getting your knees out as far as your could and holding them there. Hard to tell from the video at this distance.

How did they feel to descend more slowly this time?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    By extension, you mean straight right? (and by set, do you mean like tense it?)
    Yes and yes. Can you give us a side and rear video to see your knees better?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast